Is Fock space always separable?

• Thread starter eoghan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the Fock space can be non-separable when there is an infinite number of degrees of freedom, such as in a quantized field, leading to an uncountably infinite number of basis vectors. Some authors use a generalization known as a "rigged Hilbert space" or "Gel'fand triple" instead. However, most Hilbert spaces in quantum field theory are still separable.
eoghan
Hi!
During a lesson, the prof said that the Fock space could be non-separable. When can this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a system with N degrees of freedom: [aα, aβ] = [aα*, aβ*] = 0, [aα, aβ*] = δαβ where α, β=1, 2,... N. The basis states of the Fock space are |n1, n2, n3,... nN>. That is, each possible set of occupation numbers corresponds to a linearly independent basis vector. As long as N is finite the number of basis vectors is countably infinite. But when N is infinite (as it will be for a quantized field) the number of basis vectors will be uncountably infinite, and therefore the Fock space is nonseparable.

So, if for example I use the eigenstates of the position operator to label the state of a particle, then I have an infinite uncountable basis vectors(the particle can be in any |x> state with x real and non countable) and the space is non separable?

eoghan said:
So, if for example I use the eigenstates of the position operator to label the state of a particle, then I have an infinite uncountable basis vectors(the particle can be in any |x> state with x real and non countable) and the space is non separable?
Those eigenstates don't have a finite norm of the usual kind required in a Hilbert space. Some authors use a generalization, known as "rigged Hilbert space" or "Gel'fand triple" instead. Ballentine sect. 1.4 gives a gentle introduction.

Fock Space is separable. Thermal Field theories have non-separable Hilbert spaces, but Fock space is separable.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:

A Hilbert space is separable if and only if it admits a countable orthonormal basis... Even in quantum field theory, most of the Hilbert spaces are in fact separable, as stipulated by the Wightman axioms. However, it is sometimes argued that non-separable Hilbert spaces are also important in quantum field theory, roughly because the systems in the theory possesses an infinite number of degrees of freedom and any infinite Hilbert tensor product (of spaces of dimension greater than one) is non-separable. For instance, a bosonic field can be naturally thought of as an element of a tensor product whose factors represent harmonic oscillators at each point of space. From this perspective, the natural state space of a boson might seem to be a non-separable space. However, it is only a small separable subspace of the full tensor product that can contain physically meaningful fields (on which the observables can be defined).

This goes beyond what I described. I didn't say a continuum of modes like you'd get with eigenvectors of x. As strangerep points out, such states would not be normalizable.

What I said was, a discrete countable infinity of modes, normalized to a Kronecker delta.

1. What is a non-separable Fock space?

A non-separable Fock space is a type of mathematical space used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a system with an infinite number of degrees of freedom. It is a generalization of a separable Fock space, which only applies to systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom.

2. How is a non-separable Fock space different from a separable Fock space?

A separable Fock space can be constructed from a countable basis, meaning that its states can be represented by a countable set of wavefunctions. In contrast, a non-separable Fock space cannot be represented by a countable set of wavefunctions, and instead requires an uncountable basis.

3. What is the significance of non-separable Fock spaces in quantum mechanics?

Non-separable Fock spaces are important in quantum mechanics because they allow for the description of systems with an infinite number of degrees of freedom, such as a quantum field. They also play a crucial role in the study of entanglement and the development of quantum information theory.

4. How is the non-separable nature of Fock spaces related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. In a non-separable Fock space, the number of particles can be infinite, making it impossible to know both the position and momentum of all particles simultaneously. This is due to the uncountable basis of the non-separable Fock space.

5. Can non-separable Fock spaces be visualized or understood intuitively?

No, non-separable Fock spaces cannot be visualized or easily understood intuitively. They are abstract mathematical spaces that are used to describe complex quantum systems and do not have a direct physical representation. However, they are a crucial tool in the study of quantum mechanics and have been successfully applied in various areas of physics, including quantum field theory and quantum information theory.