Possibly Stupid Question on Atom Smashing

In summary: For example, when two beams of light are sent in opposite directions, they will eventually collide. The resulting collision is recorded by detectors, and the resulting energy is used to calculate the speeds of the particles involved.
Willard37
Suppose you theoretically have two betatrons each accelerating a particle near light speed in opposite directions. Suppose you collide both of these electrons together head on both at close to light speed. Since the collision is happening at speeds over the speed of light, does anything peculiar happen? Sorry if this sounds completely outrageous, I am brand new to physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the collision is happening at speeds over the speed of light, does anything peculiar happen?

The collision is not happening at a speed greater than the speed of light in the reference frame of either of the particles. A really quick search found this. Not much math, but seems intuitive.

http://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/teaching/HPS_0410/chapters/Special_relativity_adding/index.html

I assume that is the reason that you thought the something peculiar would happen... although, a lot of peculiar things DO happen when particles are smashed together, but I'm guessing your worry was over the issues with relativity. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Willard37 said:
Suppose you theoretically have two betatrons each accelerating a particle near light speed in opposite directions. Suppose you collide both of these electrons together head on both at close to light speed. Since the collision is happening at speeds over the speed of light, does anything peculiar happen? Sorry if this sounds completely outrageous, I am brand new to physics.

Calculating relativistic velocities is not done in the way you'd expect. You use the Lorentz transform. It will always result in a velocity less than c.

Willard37 said:

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Willard37!

As already mentioned, velocities do not add in a linear fashion (as in 1+1=2), although it appears that way when the velocities are very low. As you approach the speed of light, the difference becomes quite pronounced.

Keep in mind that experiments of the type you describe are done routinely.

1. What is "atom smashing" or "particle physics"?

"Atom smashing" or "particle physics" is the study of the smallest building blocks of matter and their interactions. It involves using powerful machines called particle accelerators to collide particles together at high speeds in order to study their properties and behavior.

2. How does atom smashing work?

Atom smashing works by accelerating particles to extremely high speeds using electromagnetic fields in a particle accelerator. These particles are then collided together, and scientists observe the resulting particles and energy released from the collision to understand the fundamental properties and interactions of matter.

3. What is the purpose of atom smashing?

The purpose of atom smashing is to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental particles and forces that make up our universe. It can also help us develop new technologies and advance our understanding of the natural world.

4. What are the risks of atom smashing?

Atom smashing experiments are conducted with strict safety protocols in place to minimize any potential risks. These risks include radiation exposure, electrical hazards, and potential malfunction of the equipment. However, these risks are carefully monitored and managed by trained professionals to ensure the safety of both the scientists and the public.

5. How does atom smashing contribute to scientific advancements?

Atom smashing has contributed to numerous scientific advancements, including the discovery of new particles such as the Higgs boson, the development of medical imaging technologies, and the understanding of the early universe. It also continues to push the boundaries of our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature, leading to new discoveries and innovations in various fields of science.