Variable amplitude for shaker table

In summary, the speaker is looking for suggestions on how to change the amplitude of their shaker table in order to test for a range of distances.
ftrflyr
Hi All,

I built this shaker table: and I am now trying to change the amplitude so that it is no longer fixed but instead variable. The frequency I can change but the amplitude is fixed given this design.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to be able to change the amplitude so I can test for a range distances?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
ftrflyr said:
Hi All,

I built this shaker table: and I am now trying to change the amplitude so that it is no longer fixed but instead variable. The frequency I can change but the amplitude is fixed given this design.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to be able to change the amplitude so I can test for a range distances?

thanks!

Since the amplitude of the vibration is crudely controlled by the spinning mass, you need to either modulate the mass or the distance the mass is separated from the motor shaft.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is variable amplitude for shaker table?

Variable amplitude for shaker table is a feature that allows for the adjustment of the amplitude (or intensity) of the vibration produced by a shaker table. This can be helpful in simulating different levels of vibration in testing scenarios.

2. How does variable amplitude work?

Variable amplitude works by adjusting the voltage supplied to the shaker table's vibration motor. Increasing the voltage will increase the amplitude of the vibration, while decreasing the voltage will decrease the amplitude.

3. Why is variable amplitude important in testing?

Variable amplitude is important in testing because it allows for more accurate simulation of real-world vibration scenarios. By adjusting the amplitude, different levels of vibration can be replicated, providing more comprehensive and reliable test results.

4. Are there any limitations to using variable amplitude?

Yes, there are some limitations to using variable amplitude for shaker tables. The range of amplitude that can be achieved may be limited by the specifications of the shaker table or the testing equipment being used. Additionally, extreme changes in amplitude may affect the accuracy and repeatability of the test results.

5. How can I determine the appropriate amplitude for my testing needs?

The appropriate amplitude for testing will depend on the specific requirements and objectives of the test. It is important to consult with the manufacturer's guidelines and specifications, as well as any relevant industry standards, to determine the appropriate amplitude range for your particular testing scenario.