Creating a Room Lighting Device for Homes

In summary, the device will turn on the lights when someone enters the room, and will turn them off when they leave. It will also be able to control the lights depending on the person's activity.
lyrklaunavan
Hi friends,
I need your help about a subject in my mind for a few months.
This will be a project for a course. I want to make a device which controls the lights in the room. I do not know if anybody made this before or not. Also this thing will be useful for homes. You do not need to turn on the lights when entering a room everytime. I am thinking also this can be embedded into the ceiling next to the lamp so need to dig into sidewalls for switch installation and cable.

This device will do the following jobs:

1- When a person enters the room, it will turn the lights on. (If it is dark of course, a LDR may hep I do not know??)
2- When the people stays (it doesn't matter how many minutes he will stay in the room. It can be 2 minutes till 8 hours(when sleeping for example), it will turn the lights on and when the person leaves the room it will turn off afterwards) (Not like usual PIR sensors which has a adjustable delay) This thing need to detect if the person is sleeping or doing something. If sleeping it will turn the lights off. If he is doing something, for example watching TV, it will stay open.
3- I want to install this in behalf of usual switches. So this setup must not be big. (mostly 3"*3") dimension.

I found a sensor with a computer board in the following address.

http://www.zilog.com/docs/PB0223.pdf

I need your advices on how it can be done. Thanks for the support...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, this has been done many times before. Many many companies produce products such as these. In fact, I just walked into a room of one of our clients recently and was surprise to see the lights go on. A few examples:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/01/3...ges-light-levels-automatically-to-save-power/

http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...a=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

How it can be done, simple!:
parts
1. sensor-could be a motion sensor (often using IR), a light sensor (to dime the light based on ambient light from windows for higher efficiency lighting), proximity sensor or any other sensor depending on your application.
2. light- thermal bulb, flourecence, LED, ETC.
3. circuit-could be hardwired, timer circuit, MCU, PLC, DCS, etc, etc,etc,

What else you need to know?

I am excited to hear about your project idea for a room lighting device for homes. It sounds like a useful and innovative idea that could potentially benefit many people.

Regarding your first question about whether anyone has made a similar device before, I can say that there are already many similar products on the market, such as motion-activated lights and smart home lighting systems. However, each product has its own unique features and design, so there is always room for improvement and innovation.

In terms of the technical aspects, using an LDR (light-dependent resistor) to detect darkness and turn on the lights is a common approach and can be effective. However, it may also be useful to consider using other sensors, such as infrared or ultrasonic, to detect the presence of a person in the room. This can help ensure that the lights are only turned on when someone is actually in the room, rather than when there is simply low light.

Your idea for the device to differentiate between sleeping and other activities is also interesting. This could potentially be achieved by using a combination of sensors and programming the device to recognize different patterns of movement and inactivity. It may also be helpful to include a manual override option for times when the device may not accurately detect the person's activity.

In terms of size and installation, using a compact sensor and computer board, as you have suggested, can help keep the device small and easy to install. However, it will also be important to consider the power source and wiring for the device, as it will need to be connected to the room's electrical system.

Overall, I think your project idea has great potential and I look forward to seeing how you develop it further. I would recommend conducting further research on similar products and technologies, as well as consulting with experts in the field, to help refine your design and ensure its effectiveness and safety. Good luck with your project!

Related to Creating a Room Lighting Device for Homes

1. How does the room lighting device work?

The room lighting device works by using a combination of sensors, timers, and switches to control the lighting in a room. The sensors detect the amount of natural light in the room and adjust the artificial lighting accordingly. The timers can be set to turn the lights on and off at specific times, while the switches allow for manual control.

2. What are the benefits of using a room lighting device?

There are several benefits to using a room lighting device in homes. Firstly, it can help save energy by automatically adjusting the lighting based on natural light and turning off when not needed. This can also lead to cost savings on electricity bills. Additionally, the device can provide convenience by allowing for easy control of the lighting without having to manually adjust each light fixture.

3. Can the room lighting device be customized for different preferences?

Yes, the room lighting device can be customized to suit individual preferences. It can be programmed to adjust the lighting based on specific times, or to mimic natural lighting patterns. Some devices also have the option to change the color or intensity of the light, allowing for a personalized experience.

4. Is the installation of a room lighting device difficult?

The installation process of a room lighting device can vary depending on the specific device and the complexity of the system. Some devices may require professional installation, while others can be easily installed by following the instructions provided. It is important to carefully read the instructions and follow safety precautions when installing any electrical device.

5. Can the room lighting device be controlled remotely?

Many room lighting devices now come with the capability to be controlled remotely through a smartphone app or a smart home system. This allows for even more convenience and flexibility in controlling the lighting in the home. It is important to make sure the device is compatible with the chosen remote control method before purchasing.