When is your US credit score first established

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary: If it's an ISP or cable company that's not regulated, they can report your activity to any credit agencies that are interested.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Does it come with your social security number as soon as you're born? When you first pay taxes? You're first credit interaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagorean said:
Does it come with your social security number as soon as you're born? When you first pay taxes? You're first credit interaction?

Interesting question. My wife came from another country and we made sure that she got added as a 'responsible party' to my credit card in order to establish credit (not just adding her name). When we bought a house several years later, her credit score was higher than mine (800+). My mother-in-law lives with us now and I can't even get a report from Transunion, Experion, or Equifax about her. This leads me to believe that it starts after you actually borrow money for the first time (or some other trigger).

Last edited:
Utility companies (gas, electric, water, etc.) and service providers like cable, internet, etc. report to credit agencies. If you pay bills which are under your name then I would assume this would be applicable to your question as well. Late or missed payments are reported as such.

Dembadon said:
Utility companies (gas, electric, water, etc.) and service providers like cable, internet, etc. report to credit agencies. If you pay bills which are under your name then I would assume this would be applicable to your question as well. Late or missed payments are reported as such.
Utility companies do not report to credit agencies and it won't help you establish credit. The only time you might find a rating from a utility is if you are disconnected for non-payment and the amount is turned over to an outside credit agency. The credit agency then reports the debt they bought to a credit reporting agency.

An independent ISP or cable company might, but not the public utilies (governed by the PUC or PSC such as gas, electric, & phone).

Evo said:
Utility companies do not report to credit agencies and it won't help you establish credit. The only time you might find a rating from a utility is if you are disconnected for non-payment and the amount is turned over to an outside credit agency. The credit agency then reports the debt they bought to a credit reporting agency.

That makes sense.

I just remember reading a vague statement in most service contracts containing something similar to "We report your payment habits to _____." It is likely I'm just getting this situation confused with my ISP or cable company contracts, though.

Dembadon said:
That makes sense.

I just remember reading a vague statement in most service contracts containing something similar to "We report your payment habits to _____." It is likely I'm just getting this situation confused with my ISP or cable company contracts, though.
I think it's only if they are regulated that they can't report you.

1. When is a US credit score first established?

A US credit score is first established when an individual opens their first credit account or takes out a loan. This typically occurs when a person turns 18 years old and becomes eligible to apply for credit.

2. Does everyone have a US credit score?

No, not everyone has a US credit score. In order to have a credit score, an individual must have a credit history, which means they have opened at least one credit account or taken out a loan in the past.

3. How long does it take for a US credit score to be established?

It typically takes about six months for a US credit score to be established. This allows enough time for the individual to use their credit and for lenders to report their payment history to the credit bureaus.

4. Can a US credit score be established without a Social Security number?

No, a Social Security number is required to establish a US credit score. This unique identifier is used by credit bureaus to track an individual's credit history and calculate their credit score.

5. Is it possible to have a US credit score if I have never had a credit card or loan?

Yes, it is possible to have a US credit score without ever having a credit card or loan. This can occur if an individual is listed as an authorized user on someone else's credit card or if they have a history of paying bills, such as rent or utilities, on time. However, having a limited credit history may result in a lower credit score.