Where Did You Go to College and What Did You Study?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, Just curious what school you all call 'home'. Where'd you go? What'd you study?Me: I moved from suburban Chicago, IL to Troy, NY in 1992 to go to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and never got around to moving back. I did my BSc (Physics) and MSc (Radiological Physics) at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, AB, Canada. Finished the MSc in 1996 and somehow ended up working in the US, which wasn't exactly high on my list of places to go, but I'm still here for some reason.BA in mathematics from Butler University in Indianapolis. Four years of grad school in mathematics (Algebra
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just curious what school you all call 'home'. Where'd you go? What'd you study?

Me: I moved from suburban Chicago, IL to Troy, NY in 1992 to go to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and never got around to moving back. :|

I will return to Chicago one day though!

Physics news on Phys.org
I did my BSc (Physics) and MSc (Radiological Physics) at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, AB, Canada. Finished the MSc in 1996 and somehow ended up working in the US, which wasn't exactly high on my list of places to go, but I'm still here for some reason.

BA in mathematics from Butler University in Indianapolis. Four years of grad school in mathematics (Algebraic Topology) at the University of Wisconsin, Madison; no degree.

B.S. Physics, Oregon State University.

B.A. Biology and Ph.D. Animal Sciences, both from Rutgers.

SB Electrical Engineering, MIT

BS Wayne State University, Detroit Michigan, Forensics.
MS University of Colorado, Boulder, Anthropology.

BS Physics Oregon State.
BS Math Oregon State
Some Applied Math Graduate work at Lehigh U and Oregon State.

GED, Florida Department of Education. :tongue2: Do I get a cookie?

BS, Engineering Physics from the United States Military Academy (West Point) in 1995.

BSc Neural Computation m/ Astrophysics McMaster University 2003

SelfAdjoint: 4 years no degree..sorry to hear that.

BSc (Ag), Microbiology, McGill University, Montreal (2003)
MSc, Microbiology, McGill University (2004)
Doing my PhD in Microbiology at Dalhousie University, Halifax (2004-...)

Rice U. ('75-'79) - Physics with options in astrophysics/nuclear physics
Seems Evo and I just missed each other.

Texas A&M ('79-'85) BS, MS Nuclear Engineering, ('85-'88) PhD program but not completed. Graduate work primarily nuclear fuel, design and performance, fast reactor safety, nuclear propulsion for space craft, high temperature materials. Taught nuclear reactor theory, power plant design, fusion engineering, as well as various undergraduate courses.

I will graduate next year with a BSc in Physics and Astrophysics from the University of Birmingham, UK.

I've almost got a BEng(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering with Design, Materials & Manufacture from UMIST/The University of Manchester, UK.

Graduating next week! Woo!

Sacred Heart Canossian College!
It's located in HK, a band 1 school ;)

BSc physics at UGent, Belgium
MSc physics at UGent, Belgium
Phd physics, IMEC Leuven since 2005 (so i am a newbie here :))

marlon

Grogs said:
BS, Engineering Physics from the United States Military Academy (West Point) in 1995.

I got my BS in Physics, before getting my MS in Physics. What did your degree program entail? Mine was basically just like the Nuclear Engineering program, except instead of 2 semesters of nuclear reactor analysis and 1 semester of radiological engineering we took 2 semesters of quantum physics and 1 semester of electrodynamics.

Went to college to study Biology, got a degree in Chemistry, now I study Mathematics:

"The Universe exists independently of our minds but understand her mathematical laws and you can control her to an incredible degree of accuracy. Fail to understand them, or ignore them, or forget them, and she can be as malevolent as Moby Dick"

Edit: Oh yea, I think Integral is getting frustrated about the chalk stuf. He's ready to say, "you know what guys, just forget I said anything about it".

Last edited:
saltydog said:
"

Edit: Oh yea, I think Integral is getting frustrated about the chalk stuf. He's ready to say, "you know what guys, just forget I said anything about it".
Bingo! :rofl:

1. Where did you go to college?

I went to college at the University of California, Berkeley.

2. What did you study?

I studied biology with a focus on genetics and molecular biology.

3. Why did you choose that college?

I chose UC Berkeley because of its prestigious reputation in the field of biology and its strong research opportunities.

4. How has your college education helped you in your career?

My college education provided me with a strong foundation in scientific principles and critical thinking skills, which have been essential in my career as a scientist. Additionally, the research experience I gained during my studies has been invaluable in my current work.

5. Do you think where you went to college and what you studied has had an impact on your success?

Absolutely. My college education has played a crucial role in my success as a scientist. The combination of a rigorous academic program and hands-on research experience has prepared me for the challenges of my career and helped me develop the necessary skills for success.