Intermolecular bonds and static friction

Recent extensions to this theory propose that on the molecular level, intermolecular forces have time to form tiny bonds between molecules of the object and molecules of the surface. These extra forces must be overcome to start the object moving, resulting in higher static friction compared to kinetic friction. However, there is limited information available on these bonds formed on stationary objects. Further research suggests that these bonds can be classified as Dipole-Dipole interactions, as they involve neutral molecules and are relatively weak. Additionally, friction is also affected by mechanical contact between two surfaces and the formation and breaking of hydrogen bonds between surfaces, as seen in the example of a rolling
megashell
Hey there,
I'm trying to find some information on static friction, particularly extended theories of Amonton's. So far, I've found that Amonton said that static friction is a result of surfaces conforming to each other while not moving. I'm tyring to find recent extensions to this theory, mainly like this: "On the molecular level, it has been extended lately to propose that the intermolecular forces have time to make tiny bonds between molecules of the object with molecules of the surface. These extra forces have to be overcome to start the object moving, causing the static friction to be higher than the kinetic friction." I've done searches on Google, but I can't seem to come up with anything. I find lots of information about the surfaces conforming with each other, but nothing on bonds formed on stationary objects.Thanks!

Edit: By doing further research I am guessing that the bond that forms between the object and the surface would be classified as Dipole-Dipole since this is a relatively weak force but involves neutral molecules?

Nick

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
megashell said:
Hey there,
I'm trying to find some information on static friction, particularly extended theories of Amonton's. So far, I've found that Amonton said that static friction is a result of surfaces conforming to each other while not moving. I'm tyring to find recent extensions to this theory, mainly like this: "On the molecular level, it has been extended lately to propose that the intermolecular forces have time to make tiny bonds between molecules of the object with molecules of the surface. These extra forces have to be overcome to start the object moving, causing the static friction to be higher than the kinetic friction." I've done searches on Google, but I can't seem to come up with anything. I find lots of information about the surfaces conforming with each other, but nothing on bonds formed on stationary objects.

Edit: By doing further research I am guessing that the bond that forms between the object and the surface would be classified as Dipole-Dipole since this is a relatively weak force but involves neutral molecules?
Most of the friction (static or kinetic) is the result of mechanical contact between two slightly rough surfaces. Little pieces of matter in one surface (ie fixed to one surface by molecular bonds) are mechanically displaced by the motion of the other surface. So the force of friction is used to break those molecular bonds.

There is another, much weaker aspect involving molecular bonds. Think of a rolling tire made of soft rubber on an asphalt surface on a hot day. The rubber is mildly 'sticky' and so is the road. So some hydrogen bonds are formed between the rubber and the tar surface of the road. As the tire rolls, these bonds are continually made and broken. This contributes to the coefficient of 'rolling friction'.

I suspect that there are always some of these bonds forming between any surfaces in contact.

AM

1. What are intermolecular bonds?

Intermolecular bonds are attractive forces between molecules that hold them together. These bonds form due to the electrostatic interactions between the positively and negatively charged particles within molecules.

2. How do intermolecular bonds affect the physical properties of a substance?

Intermolecular bonds play a significant role in determining the physical properties of a substance, such as its melting and boiling points, density, and viscosity. Strong intermolecular bonds result in higher melting and boiling points, while weak bonds lead to lower values.

3. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when they are in contact but not moving. It occurs due to the interlocking of microscopic ridges and valleys on the surfaces, which resist motion.

4. How do intermolecular bonds affect static friction?

The strength of intermolecular bonds between two surfaces can affect the amount of static friction between them. Stronger bonds result in higher static friction, making it more difficult for the surfaces to start moving against each other.

5. Can static friction be overcome?

Yes, static friction can be overcome by applying a force that is greater than the force of static friction. Once this threshold is reached, the surfaces will start moving against each other, and the force of kinetic friction will come into play.