Area Calculation for Parametric Equation: x=t^3-5t, y=7t^2

• Thread starter Cici2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, to find the area of the region enclosed by the parametric equation x=t^3-5t and y=7t^2, you need to set up the integral \int (7t^2)(3t^2-5)dt and find the bounds by solving for t when x=0. This results in the values x=-\sqrt{5} , 0 , \sqrt{5} which can then be used to find two separate integrals, one for x>0 and one for x<0, which can then be added together to find the total area.
Cici2006

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region enclosed by the parametric equation
x=t^3-5t
y=7t^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how you set it up [tex]\int (7t^2)(3t^2-5)dt[/tex], but how do you find the bounds. I tried finding t and got t= (+/-)[tex]\sqrt{y/7}[/tex] and you plug it into x but where do you go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
What I understand by enclosed means for the value of t where x=0. So the values are [tex]x=-\sqrt{5} , 0 , \sqrt{5}[/tex] So I guess you have to find two integrals, for x>0 and for x<0 because one will get negative and the other positive and to add them.

FAQ: Area Calculation for Parametric Equation: x=t^3-5t, y=7t^2

1. How do you find the area under a parametric curve?

To find the area under a parametric curve, you can use the formula A = ∫ y dx, where x is the independent variable and y is the dependent variable. In this case, x=t^3-5t and y=7t^2. So, the area would be A = ∫ 7t^2 (t^3-5t) dt.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the area under a parametric curve?

Calculating the area under a parametric curve can help us understand the behavior of the curve and make predictions about its future values. It can also be used to solve real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object with changing velocity over time.

3. Can you explain the process for finding the area under a parametric curve?

To find the area under a parametric curve, you first need to find the limits of integration. This can be done by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for t. Then, you can plug these limits into the formula A = ∫ y dx and integrate to find the area.

4. How do you handle negative values when calculating the area under a parametric curve?

Negative values in the area calculation can arise when the curve dips below the x-axis. In this case, you would need to split the integral into two parts, one for the positive values and one for the negative values. Then, you can add the two areas together to get the total area.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating the area under a parametric curve?

Calculating the area under a parametric curve has many real-world applications. For example, it can be used to find the displacement of a moving object, the volume of a rotating object, or the work done by a changing force. It can also be used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.