What am I doing wrong? (Monotonicity of sequence)

• Thread starter theneedtoknow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, we are examining the monotonicity of the sequence An = (-1)^(2n+1) * n^0.5. From the simplified form, we can see that the sequence is decreasing. However, the use of the ratio test is not applicable in this case as it is meant for investigating convergence of series, not sequences. Additionally, the ratio test deals with positive terms or the absolute values of terms. Therefore, we can conclude that the sequence is decreasing based on the fact that all terms are negative and the magnitude of An increases as n increases.
theneedtoknow

Homework Statement

Determine the monotonicity of the sequence with An as indicated

An = (-1)^(2n+1) * n^0.5

The Attempt at a Solution

well without even doing any tests, I can see that 2n+1 is always odd, so the -1 will make every term negative
so it simplifies to
An = - root(n)
which is obviously a decreasing sequence...

Now here is where my problem somes in
If i do a ratio test of An+1 / An I get

An+1 / An = [ (-1)^(2(n+1)+1) * root (n+1) ] / [ (-1)^(2n+1) * root (n) ]
= [ (-1)^(2n + 3) * root (n+1) ] / [ (-1)^(2n+1) * root (n) ]

when i divide (-1)^(2n + 3) by [ (-1)^(2n+1) i get (-1) ^ 2 which is 1
so An+1 / An reduces to = root (n+1) / root (n) which is always greater than 1... now if its greater than one, doesn't it mean that each term is greater than th last, and the seqence is increasing? but from simplifying the expression for the term An I can clearly see that it hs to be decreasing...so where am I screwing up? Am i not supposed to apply ratio tests to sequences with each term being negative? or does the ratio test work the opposite way with sequences that are always negative (ie i need it to be less than one for it to be increasing and more than 1 for it to be decreasing?) This is probably a really dumb question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the first three or four terms of [tex] A_n [/tex] explicitly to see what the terms
look like. That will show you whether the sequence is monotone increasing, decreasing, or neither.
Once you believe you know which it is, you need to prove it. Examine

[tex]
A_{n+1} - A_n
[/tex]

If this is positive you have one answer, if it is negative you have another.

Hint: what do you know about [tex] (-1)^{2n+1}[/tex] ?

Well I understand the reasoning and i know what it tells me about the -1 (i mention it in the post) so I can see that the sequence is decreasing just from lookin at the simplified form . My question is more why the ratio test fails, whether the ratio test can only be applied to sequens with all positive terms, or whether i can be applied to negative sequences but in reverse (ie An+1/An < 1 means increasing)

Sorry - I simply missed part of your question.
You will find the Ratio Test stated in several cosmetically different, yet equivalent ways, but all of them deal with the problem of investigating convergence of a series, not a sequence. Further, when the ratio test is used, it is specified that for the series

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n
[/tex]

the terms [tex] a_n [/tex] are all positive , or the test is performed with the absolute values of the terms, as

[tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} \left\vert \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \right\vert
[/tex]

The ratio test doesn't apply to your question because there is no question of convergence, as you do not have a series: you wanted to know something about the monotonicity of the sequence.

Since the powers of [tex] -1 [/tex] cancel out in the ratio of terms, your calculation showed that the magnitude of [tex] A_n [/tex] increases as [tex] n [/tex] increases. This, coupled with the fact that all terms are negative, gives the answer to the monotonicity question.

Sorry for the wordiness, and for missing part of your original question.

Thanks so much :) That makes sense

Related to What am I doing wrong? (Monotonicity of sequence)

1. What is monotonicity of sequence?

Monotonicity of sequence refers to the behavior of a sequence in which the terms either always increase or always decrease. In other words, the terms in the sequence follow a consistent pattern of either getting larger or smaller.

2. How do I know if my sequence is monotonic?

To determine if a sequence is monotonic, you can plot the terms on a graph and look for a consistent trend of either increasing or decreasing values. Alternatively, you can compare each term to the previous one and see if they are always getting larger or smaller.

3. What does it mean if my sequence is not monotonic?

If your sequence is not monotonic, it means that the terms do not follow a consistent pattern of either increasing or decreasing. This could indicate that there is no relationship between the terms or that there are outliers in the sequence.

4. Can a sequence be both increasing and decreasing?

No, a sequence cannot be both increasing and decreasing at the same time. It is either increasing or decreasing, but not both. However, there can be portions of a sequence that are increasing and other portions that are decreasing.

5. How can monotonicity of sequence be useful?

Monotonicity of sequence can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications. It can help identify patterns and relationships between the terms, make predictions about future terms, and determine the behavior of functions and equations.