Help with linear transformation problem with variables

In summary: The matrix A that the OP is looking for should have the same shape as the vector x but with a different number of columns. *The transformation matrix has 3 columns. In summary, the OP is looking for a matrix that will map a vector from R^2 to R^3.
stonecoldgen
Let L: R3 -> R3 be L(x)=

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
x1+x2\\
x1-x2\\
3x1+2x2
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

find a matrix A such that L(x)=Ax for all x in R2

From what I understand I need to find the transition matrix from the elementary to L(x). However it is'nt a square matrix and it has variables instead of numbers so it confuses me. Then I should multiply that by something, which I don't know exactly what is...

What should I do to solve this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stonecoldgen said:
Let L: R2 -> R2 be L(x)=

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
x1+x2\\
x1-x2\\
3x1+2x2
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

What should I do to solve this problem?

Before answering, one rather urgent issue is raised: the linear transformation unaffects the condition of the input (e.g. takes a 2-D vector and gives out a 2-D vector)

But then you define the transformation to spit out a vector that has 3-components? I must take that to mean that there is accidental error in the premise where you had rathered L(x) be from R squared to R cubed.

sudhirking said:
Before answering, one rather urgent issue is raised: the linear transformation unaffects the condition of the input (e.g. takes a 2-D vector and gives out a 2-D vector)

But then you define the transformation to spit out a vector that has 3-components? I must take that to mean that there is accidental error in the premise where you had rathered L(x) be from R squared to R cubed.

Yeah my bad, sorry for the typo.

I do not know what the term matrix means to you, but in brief and for our purposes, a matrix is simply a "linear transformation" which when acting on a vector gives out another vector! The size and shape of the matrix tells you the quality of vectors it takes in and those which it spits out (e.g. a 3x2 matrix takes in 2-D vectors and spits out 3-D vectors). The components of the matrix are to be inferred as the exact processes that alter the input vector so.

This transformation is linear for the reason that when it acts on a sum of vectors, it may superimpose their individual results together, and when acting on a multiple of a vector, is equivalent to acting on the vector and stretching by the same constant.

Somehow we have to exhibit some mechanism, some matrix which when acting on our 2-D vector, with components x1 and x2, gives out a 3-D vector of the specified shape.

This is best done as follows:

tutor1.jpg

Note in the last step I abused the following fact (one that is to be well understood)- a column vector which when applied by a matrix, reproduces another column vector that takes a linear combination of the columns of the matrix.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
While the above technique is the most promising, as it makes reference to no other special theorem by itself, an alternative popular approach is as follows:

ask yourself what does this transformation do on the vector (1,0)?

what does it do to the other basis vector (0,1)?

These form the columns of the transformation matrix! The reason why has intimately to do with the priori the transformation is linear!
tutor2.jpg

(The first post says "R3 to R3" but sudhirkings quote says "R2[/tex]". I will assume R3 is intended.)

So L maps vector [tex]<x_1, x_2, x_3>[/tex] to [tex]<x_1+ x_2, x_1- x_2, 3x_1+ 2x_2>[/tex] and you want to write it as a 3 by 3 matrix? In order to do this you need to specify the bases so I will assume the basis is the "standard" basis {<1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, <0, 0, 1>}.

Apply L to each of the basis vectors in order. Write the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors. The coefficients form the columns of the matrix representation.

For example, here, L(<1, 0, 0>)= <1+ 0, 1- 0, 3(1)+ 2(0)>= <1, 1, 3>= 1<1, 0, 0>+ 1<0, 1, 0>+ 3<0, 0, 1> so the first column is [itex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 3\end{bmatrix}[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
(The first post says "R3 to R3" but sudhirkings quote says "R2[/tex]". I will assume R3 is intended.)

I actually believe the OP made a slight typo again! I believe he wishes the transformation to be from 2-D to 3-D.

Reason I infer this is from the following:

* the initial post posited that the transformation was from 2-D to 2-D (I think in my first post you can see it in the quote).

*The OP goes on to ask what is "L(x) where x is in R^2" or something to the same effect.

Last edited:

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a linear way. It preserves the basic operations of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do I solve a linear transformation problem with variables?

To solve a linear transformation problem with variables, you can follow these steps:

1. Identify the variables in the problem and assign them to specific vectors.
  2. Write out the transformation matrix, which represents the linear function.
  3. Apply the transformation matrix to the input vector, using matrix multiplication.
  4. Simplify the resulting vector and substitute the variables back in to find the final solution.

3. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a linear equation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another, while a linear equation is a statement that equates two expressions involving variables and follows the rules of linear algebra. In other words, a linear transformation is a function and a linear equation is a statement.

4. How do I know if a linear transformation is one-to-one?

A linear transformation is one-to-one if every vector in the output space is mapped to by at most one vector in the input space. This means that no two different input vectors will be transformed to the same output vector. To determine if a linear transformation is one-to-one, you can use the determinant of the transformation matrix. If the determinant is non-zero, then the transformation is one-to-one.

5. Can a linear transformation have more than one variable?

Yes, a linear transformation can have more than one variable. The number of variables in a linear transformation corresponds to the number of dimensions in the input and output vector spaces. For example, a transformation with two variables would have a 2-dimensional input and output vector space. However, the number of variables does not affect the linearity of the transformation. As long as the transformation follows the rules of linear algebra, it can have multiple variables.