Making Liquid Nitrogen at Home: Have You Tried It Yet?

In summary, the speaker has successfully made liquid nitrogen from scratch without using a prepackaged cooling device. They are working on a web tutorial and video footage for this process and welcome suggestions. They use a homemade PSA for their nitrogen source and have achieved a production rate of 300cc in one hour. They are continuing to work on the tutorial and welcome feedback.
imsmooth
A while ago I had asked if anyone ever made liquid nitrogen from scratch without using a prepackaged cooling device (cryocooler). Well, I've done it. I'm working on a web tutorial and better video footage. For those who wish to make suggestions on what you would like to see I am submitting these links. I will try to accommodate requests since I am still working on it.

I can reach -320F in a little over an hour from ambient pressure. I still have to calculate my production rate.

Here is the tutorial which is still in development:
http://homemadeliquidnitrogen.com

Here is one of the videos after a 1:15 hour run

I use a homemade PSA for my nitrogen source, which is limitless. The tutorial will give all the parts and sources for making the generator in your own garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice job!

From the video, it looks like the LN2 was still cooling the dewar inner wall at the end. Once the dewar has cooled down and the LN2 stops boiling, your production rate might go up.

Thanks for posting.

I have continued work on the website tutorial. I would like to solicit comments as this is a work in progress. If something is unclear so far, or you would like to see something added about the design please let me know. I will add video links soon.

So far I can cool down to -320F from 36F in 40 minutes. My last run produced about 300cc of LN2 in one hour.

What is liquid nitrogen?

Liquid nitrogen is a colorless, odorless, and extremely cold liquid with a boiling point of -320.4°F (-195.8°C). It is a form of nitrogen gas that has been cooled to a liquid state through compression and rapid expansion.

Can liquid nitrogen be made at home?

Yes, liquid nitrogen can be made at home, but it requires specialized equipment and should only be attempted by trained professionals. The process involves compressing and cooling gaseous nitrogen and then rapidly expanding it, which can be dangerous if not done properly.

What are the uses of homemade liquid nitrogen?

Homemade liquid nitrogen can be used for various scientific and industrial purposes, such as freezing and preserving biological samples, creating cryogenic temperatures for experiments, and producing ultra-cold temperatures for use in refrigeration and transportation of food products.

Is homemade liquid nitrogen safe to handle?

No, homemade liquid nitrogen is not safe to handle without proper training and protective equipment. It is extremely cold and can cause severe frostbite if it comes into contact with skin. In addition, as it evaporates, it displaces oxygen, which can lead to asphyxiation in enclosed spaces.

Can homemade liquid nitrogen be stored for later use?

Yes, homemade liquid nitrogen can be stored for later use, but it must be kept in a well-insulated container that can withstand its extremely low temperatures. It is also important to regularly monitor the pressure and temperature of the container to ensure safe storage.