Is the Capitol Power Plant only providing steam now?

• Thread starter rachmaninoff2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the Capitol was evacuated shortly after noon Monday after the building briefly lost power. The building was reopened about an hour later after power was restored. A spokeswoman for Potomac Electric Power Co. said the electricity shut off automatically after there was "a momentary drop in voltage due to customer operations up the lines" away from the Capitol.
rachmaninoff2
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. Capitol was evacuated shortly after noon Monday after the building briefly lost power.

The building was reopened about an hour later after power was restored...

...a spokeswoman for Potomac Electric Power Co., said the electricity shut off automatically after there was "a momentary drop in voltage due to customer operations up the lines" away from the Capitol.

"The protective equipment sensed the significant change in voltage and tripped," she said.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/03/capitolevacuated.ap/index.html

So much for the balance of powers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was irritated at politicians because they weren't doing what I told them to do. This was a warning to them, I hope they listen. I would hate to have to take it farther.

Why do they need to evacuate for a power failure? It seems it would be better to stay INSIDE when storms knocking out power are coming through, not to mention that you then have all those people spilling out to the sidewalks when traffic lights and crosswalk signs are out too. Or was the power out before the storms hit and they all just wanted a break to get out in the warm, sunny weather before the storms brought back the cold again?

Moonbear said:
Why do they need to evacuate for a power failure? It seems it would be better to stay INSIDE when storms knocking out power are coming through, not to mention that you then have all those people spilling out to the sidewalks when traffic lights and crosswalk signs are out too. Or was the power out before the storms hit and they all just wanted a break to get out in the warm, sunny weather before the storms brought back the cold again?

This was before the storms, Capitol building only, some utility technicians messed up.

No one noticed my pun?

Now I did. Nice job. Would you get rid of that annoying 2 at the end of your name?

cyrusabdollahi said:
Now I did. Nice job. Would you get rid of that annoying 2 at the end of your name?

I'll try!

(oops, wrong button...)

Where the hell is rachmoninoff?

As always, I'm on vacation. Some say I'm in college.

According to him he was last seen in Baltimore. I guess he ventured into the bad part of town and got kidnapped by some crack dealers. I told him Baltimore was bad new, be he didn't listen.

Wow, my new name is so cool! So much more brevious than the previous one. People might actually spell it right.

I'm a little surprised it doesn't have a backup system - when the power goes, you lose your security.

Moonbear said:
Perhaps is standard emergency procedure incase the power issue is connected with some sort of attack on the building.

cyrusabdollahi said:
According to him he was last seen in Baltimore. I guess he ventured into the bad part of town and got kidnapped by some crack dealers. I told him Baltimore was bad new, be he didn't listen.

Maybe he ventured to close to D.C. by mistake? Perhaps he succumbed to the dark side and became a politician.

I've hijacked my own thread. That's so sad. This reminds me of the news story, about the security guards who confiscated a swiss army knife from a 747 flight. The confiscee? The pilot of the 747. He too must have been planning to hijack himself.

ok that's great,... so wheres ole rach anyone?

cyrusabdollahi said:
ok that's great,... so wheres ole rach anyone?
Did you actually think that Rach2 was him?
I'm pretty sure that it's a certain person who seems to like playing with fake accounts.

russ_watters said:
I'm a little surprised it doesn't have a backup system - when the power goes, you lose your security.
Seems even less secure to be standing out on the street, doesn't it? :confused: But, yeah, you'd think they'd have a back-up for a building like that.

russ_watters said:

Interesting question.

What I find more interesting is the fact that it actually has its own power supply.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode02/usc_sec_02_00002162----000-.html

At least, that's what I read out of that.

If that's the case, then why is Potomac Electric Power Company providing comments on *why* the power might have gone out? Wouldn't a more appropriate comment be "What are you asking PEPCO for?"?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.aoc.gov/cc/
The Capitol Power Plant began providing electricity in 1910; today, it provides steam for heating and chilled water for cooling buildings within the Capitol Complex.

So it no longer provides electricity, only steam?

What caused the power outage in the US Capitol?

The power outage in the US Capitol was caused by a technical malfunction in the electrical system.

How long did the power outage last?

The power outage lasted for approximately 1 hour, from 10:16am to 11:20am on April 7, 2021.

Were any important government activities affected by the power outage?

Yes, the power outage disrupted a hearing of the House Oversight and Reform Committee and delayed voting in the House of Representatives.

Has this happened before in the US Capitol?

Yes, there have been several power outages in the US Capitol in the past, including one in 2018 that lasted for several hours.

What measures are being taken to prevent future power outages in the US Capitol?

The Architect of the Capitol, who oversees the maintenance of the US Capitol, is conducting an investigation into the cause of the power outage and will implement any necessary updates or repairs to prevent future incidents.