Mathematica Export to PDF problem

In summary, amike1980 is having problems exporting pdf files from Mathematica 7.0. He has tried various methods, but none have worked. He is also having problems with fonts embedded in pdfs and is considering using rasterized images instead.
amike1980
Hi guys,

I have a problem with exporting to PDF format from Mathematica 7.0.
As seen in the attachment PlotLabel is correctly displayed in the note book (test.nb), but when I try to export it, some characters just don't seem to be displayed correctly (plot.pdf).

I've tried the "Save Selection As..." -> PDF, function and get the same result as above.

I've tried to change the $CharacterEncoding variable with limited success, getting some of the letters to display correctly, but no all.

Here is where i ran out of ideas.
Does anybody have any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi amike1980,

I don't see any attached files...

In my experience, it's often hard to get what you want from "Save Selection As..." -> PDF. It's normally easier to print (the selection) to a PDF printer.

(The last time I used a windows computer, I used http://www.cutepdf.com/)

Hi,

I'm uploading attachments again, hope it works.

In the past I used Export function. And it worked fine, but I don't seem to be able to get it to work now. And I don't have the note book, where it worked any more...

thx for the suggestion I'll try it out.

Is it possible to print directly from a note book?
Since I'll need to export many plots for my Bachelor's degree.

Attachments

• test.nb
    13.9 KB · Views: 553
  • plot.pdf
    35.3 KB · Views: 355
For exporting a figure, you probably do want to use Export rather just printing to a pdf. That said, both methods worked ok for me - but the pdf printed version had a capital instead of lowercase checked z. See attached.

It might be an embedded font issue... older versions of Mathematica did not embed fonts into pdfs, but I think that new versions do.

There's some discussion of similar problems at
http://pages.uoregon.edu/noeckel/MathematicaGraphics.html#MathematicaFonts
maybe something there will help.

If all else fails, you can always export high quality rasterized images...

Attachments

• plot.pdf
    86.2 KB · Views: 292
  • print_selection.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 292
thx for the link, but it didn't work.
Well i was unable do apply one of the suggested fixes, because I using windows but the fix was for the mac OS.

However I found out that changing my regional settings, changes the number of correctly printed Hacke letters. But I could not get Mathematica to print all of them correctly.
Can you tell me your regional settings, so I can try it out?

If it will not work I'll use rasterezed images.
What raster size and format would you suggest?

thx

Hello, I am also having an export problem in Mathematica when trying to export pdf format. Namely, I can't get it to export pdf images at all!

Anything I try to export, such as the image:
sinplot=Plot[Sin[x],{x,0,1}]​
will export perfectly fine to .jpg or .png file types
Export["sinplot.jpg",sinplot]​
but does NOT produce anything if I try .eps or .pdf. I don't see any errors in Mathematica, it simply just doesn't create the file.
Export["sinplot.pdf",sinplot]​

I'm running Mathematica on an external computer through ssh, so maybe that has something to do with my problem. But I don't see why it can output one file type and not another.

1. Why is my exported PDF file from Mathematica blurry?

This could be due to low resolution settings in your PDF export options. Make sure to adjust the resolution to a higher value before exporting.

2. Can I export a specific section of my Mathematica notebook to PDF?

Yes, you can use the Export function in Mathematica and specify the range of cells or sections you want to export. For example, Export["file.pdf", Notebook[{"Section1", "Section2"}]].

3. How can I change the page size of my exported PDF file?

You can use the PageWidth and PageHeight options in the Export function to specify the desired page size. For example, Export["file.pdf", Notebook[], PageWidth -> 8.5, PageHeight -> 11] will export a letter-sized PDF file.

4. Is it possible to include interactive elements in a PDF exported from Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the IncludeMetaInformation option in the Export function to include interactive elements such as buttons or sliders in your PDF file. However, the level of interactivity may be limited compared to a Mathematica notebook.

5. Can I export my Mathematica graphics to vector format in a PDF file?

Yes, you can use the Export function with the "PDF" format and specify the "VectorEmbedding" option to True. This will export your graphics as vector graphics in the PDF file, allowing for high-quality resolution and scalability.