Optimizing Minimum Value Search in MATLAB: A Guide for Scientists

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the minimum value in an array of numbers using an optimization search. The option of writing a loop and comparing values is suggested, but the person is not familiar with how to do flow control in MATLAB. A link to the MATLAB documentation is provided, as well as a hint to use the function "prod(size)" for flow control.
Juanka
I got a quick question, let's say I have an array of numbers for example [ 9 3 2 7 1 8 ]
and I want to find the minimum value ie: for this example it would be 1. How could I implement an optimization search like this??

Physics news on Phys.org
Code:
[value index] = min(array)

I was looking for a way which I could write my own loop, I just am not familiar with MATLAB yet.

Well if you want to reinvent the wheel, you'll need to iterate through the list and keep track of the current lowest value...so to me that says for loop, comparison tests...

If you don't yet know how to do flow control in MATLAB, their documentation page is quite helpful:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/learn_matlab/f4-1931.html

NOTE: You can bring up the built-in help in MATLAB for any function by typing
>> help <FUNCTION_NAME>

HINT: prod(size(MATRIX_A)) may help you with your flow control...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a "Matlab Minimum Value Search"?

A "Matlab Minimum Value Search" is a method used in the Matlab programming language to find the minimum value of a given data set. It involves using built-in functions and algorithms to search through the data and determine the smallest value.

2. How do I perform a minimum value search in Matlab?

To perform a minimum value search in Matlab, you can use the "min" function. This function takes in a data set as an input and returns the smallest value in that data set. You can also use the "find" function to locate the index of the minimum value in the data set.

3. Can a minimum value search be performed on a matrix in Matlab?

Yes, a minimum value search can be performed on a matrix in Matlab. The "min" function can be used to find the smallest value in a matrix, and the "find" function can be used to locate the index of that value.

4. Is there a way to find the minimum value in a specific range of data in Matlab?

Yes, you can find the minimum value in a specific range of data in Matlab using the "min" and "find" functions. You can specify the range of data by using indexing or logical indexing.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the minimum value in Matlab?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the minimum value in Matlab. These include using loops or conditional statements to iterate through the data and find the minimum value, or using the "sort" function to sort the data in ascending order and then retrieving the first value.