Replace NaN with next element in Multidimensional Array

In summary, you have an N-D array with NaN values scattered randomly. You want to replace the value for a NaN with the previous non-NaN value. You can do this by using the repnan function, which has several options for interpolation.
Ben Wilson
I have a a multidimensional array (49x49x49) which has NaN values scattered randomly.

For each NaN, I want to replace the value with the previous non NaN value.

e.g. if i had a 3 x 3 matrix

4 7 9
2 7 NaN
1 2 NaN

should become

4 7 9
2 7 7
1 2 2

I have 3 dimensions [i,j,k], but it doesn't matter which dimension I move back in, so long as it is an adjacent element.

Anybody have a solution to my problem?EDIT:

I guess I could make several loops, find the NaNs and replace e.g i with i-1. But shouldn't there be a more efficient way in Matlab?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the data loaded into the array?
Could you modify the loading to make the adjustments then?
Or at least create a list of indexes so you don't have to search through the array again?

cpscdave said:
How is the data loaded into the array?
Could you modify the loading to make the adjustments then?
Or at least create a list of indexes so you don't have to search through the array again?
no sadly not

Sadly the only way I know to do it then would be via 3 nested loops. 49*49*49 shouldn't take too long.

What if the first element is a nan? What if a nan is on the an i=1 edge so that there is no i-1 value? This problem can be quickly solved once those questions are addressed.

mfig said:
What if the first element is a nan? What if a nan is on the an i=1 edge so that there is no i-1 value? This problem can be quickly solved once those questions are addressed.
"NaN values scattered randomly."

Ben Wilson said:
"NaN values scattered randomly."

That does not answer my question. In your example you replace one nan by the 7 to its left. You are replaced the other nan with the two to its left. What if the nan is on the left-hand column?

Here is a 2-D example:

% Create sample data
data = randi(99, 10, 10);
% Introduce 7 nans at random locations
data(randperm(numel(data), 7)) = nan
% Determine location of nans.
nanMap = isnan(data);
% Need to get rid of nan's for imtranslate.
data(nanMap) = -1
% Make an array shifted one column to the right.
replacements = imtranslate(data, [1, 0])
% Initialize a copy of data for our output.
output = data;
% Replace nan's with element to the left
output(nanMap) = replacements(nanMap)

vNanIdx = find(isnan(mData));

mData(vNanIdx) = mData(vNanIdx - 1);

Remember MATLAB is Column Major, hence if the Previous item is according to the row, permute the array accordingly (Or use something which depends on the dimensions of the array instead 1).

Pay attention it won't work if the first item is NaN.

Likes FactChecker
Drazick said:
Pay attention it won't work if the first item is NaN.
But that is easy to fix as a special case with one line.

1. How do I replace NaN values with the next element in a multidimensional array?

To replace NaN values with the next element in a multidimensional array, you can use the built-in numpy.nan_to_num() function. This function takes in an array as its parameter and returns the same array with NaN values replaced by the next element in the same column.

2. Can I replace NaN values with the next element in a specific row or column?

Yes, you can replace NaN values with the next element in a specific row or column by using the numpy.nan_to_num() function along with indexing. For example, if you want to replace NaN values in the first column, you can use array[:, 0] = numpy.nan_to_num(array[:, 0]).

3. What happens to the other elements in the array when replacing NaN values with the next element?

When replacing NaN values with the next element, the other elements in the array remain unchanged. Only the NaN values are replaced with the next element in the same column.

4. Are there any other ways to replace NaN values with the next element in a multidimensional array?

Yes, there are other ways to replace NaN values with the next element in a multidimensional array. One alternative is to use the numpy.where() function, which allows you to specify a condition for replacing values. Another option is to use the pandas.DataFrame.fillna() method if you are working with a pandas DataFrame.

5. Can I replace NaN values with the next element in a multidimensional array without using any built-in functions?

Yes, you can replace NaN values with the next element in a multidimensional array without using any built-in functions. This can be achieved by looping through the array and checking for NaN values, then replacing them with the next element in the same column. However, using built-in functions is a more efficient and less error-prone approach.