Solving Friction and Weight Problem: W=75lbs

In summary, a lightweight rope is wrapped around a 100lb drum, passes over a frictionless pulley, and is attached to weight, W. The maximum amount of weight that can be supported by this arrangement is W=75lbs.
Bradracer18

Homework Statement

A lightweight rope is wrapped around a 100lb drum, passes over a frictionless pulley, and is attached to weight, W. The coefficient of friction is 0.50. Determine the maximum amount of weight that can be supported by this arrangement.

I've drawn a picture, showing what I think are the forces on everything.

I need help solving this, as I'm not sure how to actually do it. The answer, I have(given to me) is W=75lbs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Forces in x direction = 0 = Fa - Nb + Tw
Forces in y direction = 0 = Na + Fb - 100

Not sure if there is a moment(and if so, where do I take it about)...also, if not...I'm not sure how to solve this next.

Thank you,
Brad
View attachment friction.bmp

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not take moments about the center of the drum? Hint: If the drum is just about to turn, what can you say about the friction forces?

You have 5 unknowns Fa Na Fb Nb and Tw so you need 5 equations.

You have 2 equations already.

When the drum starts to rotate, Coulombs law of friction says
Fa = mu.Na and Fb = mu.Nb That makes 4 equations.

You can get a 5th equation by taking moments. If doesn't matter where you take moments about. Choose a point which several forces pass through, so they have zero moment and you get a simpler equation.

Ok...so now, I took the moment about the center.

Counterclockwise

M = 0 = Fb(d/2) + Fa(d/2) - Tw(d)

And the 2 equations above. I'm totally lost as to how I mathematically solve these though, or where I start. Also, I don't know the diameter(d)...so not sure how the moment equation will help...

Bradracer18 said:
Ok...so now, I took the moment about the center.
Good.

Counterclockwise

M = 0 = Fb(d/2) + Fa(d/2) - Tw(d)
Why is one force times d while others are times d/2?

And the 2 equations above. I'm totally lost as to how I mathematically solve these though, or where I start. Also, I don't know the diameter(d)...so not sure how the moment equation will help...
The d drops out, so you don't need the actual value.

If you answer my question/hint about friction, you'll be able to rewrite Fb and Fa in terms of Nb and Na. (Similar to what AlephZero told you to do.) Then you'll have 3 equations and 3 unknowns--solve!

Ok...I was saying it was the diameter/2...or the radius. I don't know what I was thinking...I found that mistake, and will try to solve it now...see if I can do it...not sure.

yes, I did solve it(it feels good...haha). Thank you for all of your help, I sure appreciate it!

1. What is the formula for calculating friction?

The formula for calculating friction is F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

2. How do you determine the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. You can also use a friction table or experimentally measure the coefficient of friction.

3. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it, perpendicular to the surface. In this problem, it would be the force exerted by the ground on the object with a weight of 75lbs.

4. How do you calculate the weight of an object?

The weight of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity, which is typically 9.8m/s² on Earth. In this problem, the weight would be 75lbs or approximately 34kg.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, reducing the weight of the object, or smoothing out the surface of the object or the surface it is moving on. Additionally, using wheels or rollers can also reduce friction.