What is the meaning of 'delta' in variational calculations?

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
in summary, it seems that there is a difference between delta x and delta y, and that delta y depends on the chosen \eta.
jostpuur
I always like to do the variational calculations in rigor way for example like this

[tex]
0 = D_{\alpha} \Big(\int dt\; L(x(t)+\alpha y(t))\Big)\Big|_{\alpha=0} = \cdots
[/tex]

because this way I understand what is happening. However in literature I keep seeing the quantity

[tex]
\delta x(t)
[/tex]

being used most of the time. What does this delta mean really? Does it have a rigor meaning? It seems to be same kind of mystical* quantity as the [itex]df[/itex], but this time an... infinite dimensional differential?

*: mystical in the way, that even if the rigor meaning exists, it is not easily available, and the concept is usually used in non-rigor way.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to my copy of Goldstein's Classical Mechanics (3rd ed., p.38), the variation is defined as:

[tex]\delta y = \left \frac{\partial y}{\partial \alpha} \right|_{\alpha = 0} d\alpha[/tex]

where

[tex]y(x,\alpha) = y(x,0) + \alpha \eta(x)[/tex]

for some arbitrary function [itex]\eta[/itex].

I share your sentiment that the mathematics of physics ought to be done in a rigorous way...for my own edification, I went through the variational calculus bits of Goldstein's and proved them all myself. It's actually not too hard, despite the fact that function space is infinite-dimensional.

Now [itex]\delta y[/itex] depends on the chosen [itex]\eta[/itex]. If a notation [itex]\delta y_{\eta}[/itex] was given, would that be analogous to [itex]dx_i[/itex] where i=1,2,3?

No, because [itex]\eta(x)[/itex] is not really an "index". [itex]\eta(x)[/itex] is just an arbitrary function; it is simply left undefined exactly what sort of function it is. You never "choose" it. When you work through the details of the math, you get to a point where the definition "[itex]\eta(x)[/itex] is arbitrary" can be used to advance the proof. Specifically, you will get to a point where you have

[tex]\int_{x_1}^{x_2} M(x)\eta(x)\, dx = 0[/tex]

which, if it is true for all functions [itex]\eta(x)[/itex], must therefore imply

[tex]M(x) = 0[/tex]

And, setting M(x)=0 allows you to derive the Euler equations (which are generic to the calculus of variations, and have nothing specific to do with the Lagrangian formalism).

There was a mistake with my analogy. In three dimension we can take a gradient of a function with expression [itex]u\cdot\nabla f[/itex], where [itex]u=(u_1,u_2,u_3)[/itex] is some vector. The mapping [itex]x\mapsto \eta(x)[/itex] should be considered analogous to the mapping [itex]i\mapsto u_i[/itex]. So [itex]\eta[/itex] alone, is analogous to [itex]u[/itex], and not to the indexes.

Anyway there are several things that don't make sense to me. What is the [itex]d\alpha[/itex]?

If [itex]\eta[/itex] is arbitrary, then [itex]\delta y[/itex], whatever it is, at least seems to be arbitrary too.

What did the "arbitrary" mean? I would like to have some kind of parameter interpretation for it. For example we might say that x is arbitrary in f(x), but we don't really want to mean an arbitrary number f(x), but instead a mapping [itex]x\mapsto f(x)[/itex].

Last edited:
jostpuur said:
Anyway there are several things that don't make sense to me. What is the [itex]d\alpha[/itex]?

[itex]\alpha[/itex] is just a parameter, so [itex]d\alpha[/itex] is just the (ordinary) differential of [itex]\alpha[/itex]. It ends up going under an integral sign.

If [itex]\eta[/itex] is arbitrary, then [itex]\delta y[/itex], whatever it is, at least seems to be arbitrary too.

What did the "arbitrary" mean? I would like to have some kind of parameter interpretation for it. For example we might say that x is arbitrary in f(x), but we don't really want to mean an arbitrary number f(x), but instead a mapping [itex]x\mapsto f(x)[/itex].

[itex]\eta[/itex] is arbitrary in the same sense that a constant of integration is arbitrary:

[tex]\int f(x) dx = F(x) + C[/tex]

Here, C is arbitrary, meaning that you can choose any number to be C, and the equation is true.

The only difference is that [itex]\eta(x)[/itex] is a function. So, "arbitrary" in this case means that [itex]\eta(x)[/itex] can be any function. (Actually, there is a slight restriction, in that [itex]\eta(x_1) = 0[/itex] and [itex]\eta(x_2) = 0[/itex], but [itex]\eta(x)[/itex] can take on any value whatsoever at other points).

Ben Niehoff said:
[itex]\alpha[/itex] is just a parameter, so [itex]d\alpha[/itex] is just the (ordinary) differential of [itex]\alpha[/itex]. It ends up going under an integral sign.

But we are not integrating over alpha anywhere in the calculation.

This started very confusingly. It could be smarter to not try to understand everything that got already said...

What is the variation?

Variation refers to the differences or diversity among individuals within a population or species. It can be observed in physical characteristics, behaviors, and genetics.

Why is variation important?

Variation is important because it allows for adaptation and evolution within a population. It also promotes genetic diversity, which can increase a population's chances of survival in changing environments.

What causes variation?

Variation can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetic mutations, environmental influences, and random chance. In sexual reproduction, the combination of genes from two parents also contributes to variation.

How is variation measured?

Variation can be measured using statistical tools such as standard deviation, range, and variance. These measures provide information on the spread of values within a population or sample.

Can variation be beneficial?

Yes, variation can be beneficial because it allows for natural selection to act on a population, leading to the development of advantageous traits. This can increase the chances of survival and reproduction for certain individuals within a population.