Find the value of this definite integral in terms of t, s and alpha

In summary, the conversation discusses a challenging math problem involving definite integrals. After struggling to solve it by hand, the person turns to WolframAlpha and Desmos for assistance. They are finally able to come to a conclusion by using a range of random values for the constants and graphing the results. However, there is still a problem with evaluating the integral as x approaches infinity and the person is unsure if their assumption is correct. They suggest using complex integrals, but are unable to provide a solution. The conversation ends with the person questioning the validity of their assumption and asking for help in finding the correct solution.
Saracen Rue
TL;DR Summary
Evaluate ##\displaystyle{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx##, expressing the answer in terms of ##t##, ##s##, and ##\alpha##
One of the maths groups I'm apart of on Facebook posts (usually) daily maths challenges. Typically they act as small brain teaser for when I wake up and I can solve them without much trouble. However, today's was more challenging:

PicsArt_05-08-09.12.03.jpg

(Note: blue indicates a variable and red indicates a constant)

After failing at being able to make much progress by hand, I attempted to plug the integral straight into WolframAlpha to help put me in the right direction. However, Wolfram wasn't able to solve the integral either. I'm aware that Wolfram isn't the be all end all of mathematics, but it's still quite rare for me to encounter a definite integral it can't do anything with.

I next booted up Desmos' Online Graphing Calculator and graphed $$y_{1}(m)=\displaystyle{\int_{0}^{m} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx$$
$$\text{and}$$
$$y_{2}(m)=\displaystyle{\int_{-m}^{0} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx$$
using a range of random values for the constants. Through this I was able to confidently come to the conclusion that, as ##m \rightarrow \infty##, ##|y_2| \rightarrow |y_1|##. Therefore;

$$\displaystyle{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx = 2 \displaystyle{\int_{0}^{\infty} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx$$

Great, finally some progress. Returning to WolframAlpha I attempted to see if it is possible to determine the indefinite integral. To my surprise, it is!

$$\displaystyle{\int_{\text{ }}^{\text{ }} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx = - \frac {1}{2a} \left( \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t+s \cdot i)x^a \Big) (t+s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}} + \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t-s \cdot i)x^a \Big) (t-s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}}\right)$$

Things are looking good now! I then substituted ##x=0## into the integrated function:

$$ - \frac {1}{2a} \left( \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t+s \cdot i)0^a \Big) (t+s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}} + \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t-s \cdot i)0^a \Big) (t-s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}}\right)$$ $$ = - \frac {1}{2a} \left( \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, 0 \Big) (t+s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}} + \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, 0 \Big) (t-s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}}\right)$$ $$=- \frac {1}{2a} \left( \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}\Big) (t+s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}} + \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}\Big) (t-s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}}\right) \small{\text{ }\textbf{[1]}}$$

Okay, so far so good. However... I hit a little snag when attempting to compute the integral function as ##x \rightarrow \infty## ...

$$ - \frac {1}{2a} \left( \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t+s \cdot i)\infty^a \Big) (t+s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}} + \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t-s \cdot i)\infty^a \Big) (t-s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}}\right)$$ $$= - \frac {1}{2a} \left( \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t+s \cdot i)\infty \Big) (t+s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}} + \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t-s \cdot i)\infty \Big) (t-s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}}\right)$$

And here's where the problem arises. Evaluating ##\Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t+s \cdot i)\infty \Big)##. For the moment, I'm going to finish solve the question with the assumption that ##\Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t+s \cdot i)\infty \Big) = \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, \infty \Big)## but we'll come back to this later.

$$- \frac {1}{2a} \left( \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t+s \cdot i)\infty \Big) (t+s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}} + \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t-s \cdot i)\infty \Big) (t-s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}}\right)$$
$$=- \frac {1}{2a} \left( \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, \infty \Big) (t+s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}} + \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, \infty \Big) (t-s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}}\right)$$ $$=0 \small{\text{ }\textbf{[2]}}$$

From here, to finishing solving the original integral we simply need to evaluate ##\small{\textbf{[2]}}-\small{\textbf{[1]}}## and then multiply it by ##2## (remembering that so far we've only been evaluating ##\displaystyle{\int_{0}^{\infty} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx##), thus giving us a final answer of:

$$\displaystyle{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx = \frac {\Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}\Big)}{a} \left((t+s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}} + (t-s \cdot i)^{-\frac{1}{a}}\right)$$

While it seems that wrapped up nicely, there's still the problem of the earlier assumption. I am not certain that it was valid to assume that ##\Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t+s \cdot i)\infty \Big) = \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, \infty \Big)##. Attempting to evaluate ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} (t+s \cdot i)x^a## wasn't any help either (however, ##\displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} \Big| (t+s \cdot i)x^a \Big| = \infty##, which is what led me to make the assumption to begin with)

So, to simply put it, I want to know if the assumption ##\Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, (t+s \cdot i)\infty \Big) = \Gamma \Big(\frac{1}{a}, \infty \Big)## is correct (or at least gave me the correct answer). If it's not, I'd very much appreciate it if someone could help explain the correct way to evaluate ##\displaystyle{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx ## as I'm completely out of ideas at this point.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
How about using complex integral ? Given I is

[tex]I= Re \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-ux^{\alpha}} dx = Re\ u^{-\frac{1}{\alpha}}\int_C e^{-z^{\alpha}}dz[/tex] where
[tex]u=t+is[/tex]
Oh, I can not go further.

Last edited:
I am not sure I understand all your analysis correctly, for example i can see that for t=s=a=1 the integral
$$\int_{-\infty}^0 e^{-x}\cos x dx=+\infty$$
while the integral
$$\int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-x}\cos x dx=0.5$$
so your very starting point
$$\displaystyle{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx = 2 \displaystyle{\int_{0}^{\infty} (e^{t x^{\alpha}} \cos(s x^{\alpha}))} dx$$
doesn't seem to be valid , at least not for all the combinations of constant values t,s,a.
I think that the integral generally does not converge, for example for s=t ( or s=-t) and a>0 I can see that the integral does not converge.

Last edited:
Likes anuttarasammyak
Delta2 said:
I am not sure I understand all your analysis correctly, for example i can see that for t=s=a=1 the integral
$$\int_{-\infty}^0 e^{-x}\cos x dx=+\infty$$
while the integral
$$\int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-x}\cos x dx=0.5$$
so your very starting point
doesn't seem to be valid , at least not for all the combinations of constant values t,s,a.
I think that the integral generally does not converge, for example for s=t ( or s=-t) and a>0 I can see that the integral does not converge.

Thanks for the reply. I did the testing regarding this part using Desmos, which said that the integral should be converging to ##1## for the constants all equalling ##1##.
Screenshot_20200510-104604_Desmos.jpg

In fact, Desmos indicates that the integral converges so long as all the constants are are greater than ##0##:
Screenshot_20200510-022158_Chrome.jpg

Desmos seems right, however you do a "tricky "mistake in the integral setup of ##y_4## or##y_2## or you ask for the wrong value,
for example since you setup $$y_4=\int_{-x}^0 e^{-m}\cos m dm$$ and then you ask it for $$y_4(-10000000)$$ Desmos calculates $$\int_{-(-1000000)}^0 e^{-m}\cos m dm$$ and not $$\int_{-1000000}^0 e^{-m}\cos m dm$$ as I assume you wanted it to calculate.

anuttarasammyak said:
How about using complex integral ? Given I is

[tex]I= Re \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-ux^{\alpha}} dx = Re\ u^{-\frac{1}{\alpha}}\int_C e^{-z^{\alpha}}dz[/tex] where
[tex]u=t+is[/tex]
Oh, I can not go further.
With suggestion of post #3 by Delta2, let say ##\alpha=2n## , n is a positive integer, so RHS integral which has no residue could equal to
[tex]2\int_0^\infty e^{-x^{2n}}dx=\frac{1}{n}\Gamma(\frac{1}{2n})[/tex]
with expectation that integral at R##\rightarrow \infty## make no contribution,
and
[tex]Re\ u^{-\frac{1}{\alpha}}=(t^2+s^2)^{-\frac{1}{4n}}Re\ e^{-i\frac{\theta}{2n}}=(t^2+s^2)^{-\frac{1}{4n}}\cos\frac{\theta}{2n}[/tex] where
[tex]\theta=tan^{-1} \frac{s}{t}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Delta2

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a given interval. It is used to calculate the total value of a function within a specific range.

2. How do you find the value of a definite integral?

To find the value of a definite integral, you need to evaluate the integral using the limits of integration, which are the starting and ending points of the interval. This can be done by using various integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or using tables of integrals.

3. What does it mean to find the value of a definite integral in terms of t, s, and alpha?

When finding the value of a definite integral in terms of t, s, and alpha, it means that the limits of integration and the integrand (the function being integrated) contain these variables. This allows for a more general solution that can be applied to different values of these variables.

4. Can the value of a definite integral be negative?

Yes, the value of a definite integral can be negative. This can happen when the function being integrated has negative values within the given interval, or when the area under the curve is below the x-axis.

5. What is the significance of the variable alpha in finding the value of a definite integral?

The variable alpha is often used as a placeholder for a constant or parameter in the integrand. It allows for a more flexible solution that can be applied to different values of this constant. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering to represent various physical quantities.