Proving a spanning set is the rangespace

• Thread starter Jennifer1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, to prove that span {L(v1),...,L(v2)} = W, we need to show that for any w in W, we can find real numbers a_i such that a_1L(v_1)+...+a_nL(v_n)=w. This can be done using the fact that L is a linear mapping, L is onto, and {v_i,...,v_n} spans V.
Jennifer1990

Homework Statement

Suppose that the span {v1,...,vn} = V and let L:V-->W be an onto linear mapping. Prove that span {L(v1),...,L(v2)} = W

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I think for this question, we just have to show that if vi, where i is a real number, is a given vector in V, then L(vi) is a vector in W. Can someone help guide me on how to start the proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since v_i is in V, of course L(v_i) is a vector in W since by definition, L take an element of V (that is to say, a vector in V) and bring it to an element of W (that is to say, a vector in W).

According to the definition of a subset spanning a vector space, what we need to do here is to show that given any w in W, we can find real numbers a_i such that a_1L(v_1)+...+a_nL(v_n)=w.

You have a lot of things to help you achieve this:
1) The fact that L is linear,
2) The fact that L is surjective,
3) The fact that {v_i,...,v_n} spans V.

Last edited:

FAQ: Proving a spanning set is the rangespace

What is a spanning set?

A spanning set is a set of vectors that can be combined linearly to create any vector within a given vector space. In other words, a spanning set contains enough vectors to "span" the entire vector space.

Why is it important to prove that a set is a spanning set?

Proving that a set is a spanning set is important because it demonstrates that the set contains enough vectors to fully describe the vector space. This is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as solving systems of equations, creating basis sets, and understanding the properties of a vector space.

How do you prove that a set is a spanning set?

To prove that a set is a spanning set, you must show that every vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. This can be done by solving a system of equations or by demonstrating that the set satisfies the definition of a spanning set.

What is the difference between a spanning set and a basis?

A spanning set and a basis are both sets of vectors that can describe a vector space. However, a basis is a special type of spanning set that is linearly independent, meaning that none of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors. A basis is the smallest possible spanning set for a vector space, while a spanning set can contain more vectors than necessary.

Can a set be both a spanning set and a basis?

Yes, a set can be both a spanning set and a basis. This means that the set contains enough vectors to span the entire vector space, and these vectors are also linearly independent. In other words, the set is the smallest possible set of vectors that can fully describe the vector space.

Back