Why do plastic containers deform in hot temperatures?

In summary: But as far as I know anything hot expands and anything cold contracts except in an event of a change of state for example liquid to solid or vise versa. So given that there is no change of state and that the air in the bottle is heated by the hot water that was previously there and the warm plastic, this air will expand farther than cold air. Some of the air is actually forced out of the bottle due to this expansion and therefore when you close the bottle with the hot air still in there, as it cools it takes up less space forming a sort of small vacuum effect on the bottle. That would be the layman explanation from
texasblitzem
I have a plastic Gatorade type bottle that I reuse. Between uses, I fill it with hot water and shake, and then empty it. Once I empty it, if I put the lid on and wait, the bottle eventually deforms and sucks in on itself. Then when I remove the lid it returns to normal. Why does it deform?
Is it the same reason my red plastic gasoline container deforms when its left out in the summer heat all day? Does hot air take up less volume than cool air?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well my explanation won't contain any type of formulas or even a good example. But as far as I know anything hot expands and anything cold contracts except in an event of a change of state for example liquid to solid or vise versa. So given that there is no change of state and that the air in the bottle is heated by the hot water that was previously there and the warm plastic, this air will expand farther than cold air. Some of the air is actually forced out of the bottle due to this expansion and therefore when you close the bottle with the hot air still in there, as it cools it takes up less space forming a sort of small vacuum effect on the bottle. That would be the layman explanation from a layman though.

As far as the gasoline container, I wouldn't think that would be the same case however as you do not want to pressurize gasoline by having it completely sealed. There is always venting on gasoline cans to prevent vapors from building up. It's probably more than likely a deformation of the plastic due to the sun.

mistercrowley said:
Well my explanation won't contain any type of formulas or even a good example. But as far as I know anything hot expands and anything cold contracts except in an event of a change of state for example liquid to solid or vise versa. So given that there is no change of state and that the air in the bottle is heated by the hot water that was previously there and the warm plastic, this air will expand farther than cold air. Some of the air is actually forced out of the bottle due to this expansion and therefore when you close the bottle with the hot air still in there, as it cools it takes up less space forming a sort of small vacuum effect on the bottle. That would be the layman explanation from a layman though.

As far as the gasoline container, I wouldn't think that would be the same case however as you do not want to pressurize gasoline by having it completely sealed. There is always venting on gasoline cans to prevent vapors from building up. It's probably more than likely a deformation of the plastic due to the sun.

About the gas can, when I remove the spout, air rushes in and the container returns to normal shape, just like the plastic bottle. Apparently this gas can does not have a vent. Is that dangerous, a gas can with no venting?

Well, doesn't sound like it is vented well. Perhaps this could explain it though. Although it sounds contradictory that the plastic gas can would actually contract due to the heat of the sun when I mentioned before that things expand. But what happens is as the sun heats up the plastic, the molecules in the walls of the gas container expand making it more flexible and elastic, this weaker bond allows the gas container to deform.

It actually seems kind of strange that the gas container would contract in the heat itself as if it is not vented correctly the warmer air and gasoline should expand due to heat. Perhaps it is that it is bulging on the sides and therefore deforming in height so while the gasoline can appears to be smaller and contracted, the force of the expanded vapors are actually pushing against the side walls of the container more. When you vent the container maybe then that hot air escapes and the bulge on the sides of the container are removed allowing the container to return to it's normal shape. Might need some clarification on this from someone more knowledgeable.

As far as dangerous, perhaps under extreme heat for long periods of time the pressure could build up enough for the container to fail in some way. I guess I shouldn't say there are always venting caps on gasoline containers, although there probably should be, there are some of containers out there that do not vent. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless perhaps you are somewhere in the Arizona desert and leave a fairly full, non-vented, container of gasoline out in the hot, 115 degree heat for the day.

Last edited:

1. What causes hot air to rise in a closed container?

Hot air rises in a closed container due to convection, which is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid (in this case, air). The hot air near the bottom of the container is less dense than the cooler air above it, causing it to rise and displace the cooler air.

2. Will the hot air eventually cool down and sink back to the bottom of the container?

Yes, eventually the hot air will cool down and become denser, causing it to sink back to the bottom of the container. This creates a cycle of hot air rising and then cooling and sinking, known as convection currents.

3. How does the shape and size of the container affect the movement of hot air?

The shape and size of the container can affect the movement of hot air in a few ways. A taller and narrower container will have a stronger convection current, as the hot air has a longer distance to travel before reaching the top and cooling. Additionally, a container with a lid or a small opening will trap the hot air inside, causing it to circulate more rapidly.

4. Why does the temperature of the air decrease as it rises in a closed container?

The temperature of the air decreases as it rises due to the ideal gas law, which states that as the volume of a gas increases, its temperature decreases. As the hot air rises and expands, its volume increases and therefore its temperature decreases. This is why the hottest air is typically found at the bottom of the container, where it is more compressed.

5. Can the hot air in a closed container be used to generate energy?

Yes, the hot air in a closed container can be used to generate energy through the process of convection. By creating a temperature difference between the top and bottom of the container, the rising and falling air can be harnessed to power turbines and create electricity. This is the principle behind geothermal power plants, which use hot air and steam from deep within the Earth to generate energy.