Magnitude of acceleration with friction

In summary, a block with a mass of 3.0kg is pushed across a horizontal surface with a force of 20N at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is 0.30. To find the magnitude of the acceleration of the block, the equations Fk=(.3)mg and F-Fk=ma are used. However, the vertical component of the applied force also contributes to the normal reaction, so the frictional force must be recalculated. After finding the normal reaction, the correct equation for the frictional force is UkNL, not Ukmg. With this new equation, the magnitude of the acceleration is calculated to be 1.
bolivartech

Homework Statement

A block is pushed across a horizontal surface by the force shown (The force is from the left at an angle 30 degrees above the horizontal). If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is 0.30, F=20 N, theta=30 degrees, and M=3.0kg, what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the block.

Homework Equations

Fk=(.3)mg

F-Fk=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(20 N)(cos 30) - (.3)(3.0 kg)(9.8 m/s2) = (3.0 kg)a

a = 2.83 m/s2

This is incorrect though, and some how should be 1.8. I have tried separating it into X and Y forces and taking the magnitude (square root of x2+y2, but that is even farther away)

Physics news on Phys.org
Vertical component of the applied force contributes to the normal reaction. So you to recalculate the frictional force.

Alright I've thrown this in a few varying ways, but let me just say what I'm thinking so you can let me know where I've gone wrong. The frictional force is the coefficient * mass * gravity, and the Normal is mass*gravity. Since the force has a vertical element then it is also contributing to the downward force, 20N*sin30. Do I just add the result of that downward force to the frictional force?

No. downward force 20Nsin30 adds to mg. These two constitute the normal reaction. From that find the frictional force.

I've never seen it that way before but I think I'm starting to get it. In my free form diagram I drew the NL as mg + Fsin30. So Fk is not Ukmg, but UkNL. Which comes out to 11.82 in this scenario, and put in exactly as I had it setup before makes the acceleration 1.8. Thanks so much, not only did I get the right answer, I understand why!

1. What is the definition of magnitude of acceleration with friction?

The magnitude of acceleration with friction refers to the rate at which the velocity of an object changes when it is subjected to a force of friction. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed changes due to the opposing force of friction.

2. How is the magnitude of acceleration with friction calculated?

The magnitude of acceleration with friction can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on an object by its mass. This can be represented by the equation a = F_net/m, where a is the magnitude of acceleration, F_net is the net force, and m is the mass of the object.

3. How does friction affect the magnitude of acceleration?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, so it reduces the object's acceleration. This means that the greater the force of friction, the smaller the magnitude of acceleration will be.

4. Why is the magnitude of acceleration with friction important?

The magnitude of acceleration with friction is important because it helps us understand how different surfaces and materials affect an object's motion. It also plays a crucial role in many real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and predicting the speed of objects in various environments.

5. How can the magnitude of acceleration with friction be reduced?

The magnitude of acceleration with friction can be reduced by minimizing the force of friction acting on the object. This can be achieved by using lubricants, choosing smoother surfaces, or reducing the weight of the object. Additionally, increasing the force applied to the object can also overcome the force of friction and lead to a larger magnitude of acceleration.