Understanding the Rayleigh-Jeans Approximation: Where Does the Negative Sign Go?

• Thread starter the riddick25
  • Start date
In summary, the negative sign in the Rayleigh-Jeans law disappears when multiplied by the frequency dependent form because wavelength and frequency are inversely related and the total power contained in the frequency interval is the same regardless of the direction of integration. This is not explicitly stated in some references, but it is the underlying reason for the disappearance of the negative sign.
the riddick25
i have a quick question, which hopefully someone can straighten out for me.

i was reading this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh-Jeans_law
at the part titled 'Consistency of frequency and wavelength dependent expressions'

i follow the logic, but am confused about where the - sign goes after the differentiation.
they differentiate, and get the negative, but when this is multiplied by the frequency dependent form, it disappears.
and i now know this cannot be a typo, because i have found other references which also have the answer as a positive.

could someone please explain where this negative goes, and for what reason.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The negative sign arises because wavelength and frequency are inversely related, so that an increase in one quantity corresponds to a decrease in the other quantity. However, the total power (per unit solid angle per unit area) contained in the frequency interval bounded by ν1 and ν2 is the same regardless of whether you measure the change in frequency as "going from" ν1 to ν2 or as "going from" ν2 to ν1. In other words, the "change in" frequency (or wavelength) is not really relevant, only the width of the interval is. We don't care about the direction in which you integrate. I suppose they could have written

|Bνdν| = |Bλdλ|

or something like that, in order to make things explicitly clear.

Thank you!

I couldn't find anywhere which told me that, they either just had the final equation, or just did the step without explaining why.

thanks again :)

What is the Rayleigh-Jeans approximation?

The Rayleigh-Jeans approximation is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody at different wavelengths. It was developed by Lord Rayleigh and Sir James Jeans in the early 1900s.

How is the Rayleigh-Jeans approximation derived?

The Rayleigh-Jeans approximation is derived from classical physics and the assumption that a blackbody is made up of a large number of oscillators that emit electromagnetic radiation at all wavelengths. The model is based on the equipartition theorem, which states that all oscillators in thermal equilibrium have an equal amount of energy.

What are the limitations of the Rayleigh-Jeans approximation?

The Rayleigh-Jeans approximation fails at short wavelengths, known as the ultraviolet catastrophe. This means that the model predicts infinite energy at these wavelengths, which is not observed in real life. Additionally, the model does not take into account quantum effects, which are necessary to accurately describe the behavior of particles at the atomic level.

How does the Rayleigh-Jeans approximation relate to the Planck law?

The Rayleigh-Jeans approximation is a simplified version of the Planck law, which is a more accurate mathematical model for describing the distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody. The Planck law takes into account the quantum nature of particles and successfully avoids the ultraviolet catastrophe.

What are some practical applications of the Rayleigh-Jeans approximation?

The Rayleigh-Jeans approximation is used in various fields such as astronomy, atmospheric science, and engineering to estimate the amount of radiation emitted by objects at different temperatures. It has also been used to study the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang.