Kerry's Position on NCLB: Confusing Even to Close Allies

• News
  • Thread starter JohnDubYa
  • Start date
In summary, Reg Weaver, president of the National Education Association, does not understand Kerry's stance on the No Child Left Behind Act, which Kerry helped vote in but now opposes. However, Weaver believes that Kerry recognizes the need for legislative changes to the law. Despite the lack of clarity on Kerry's position, Weaver is still supporting his candidacy and does not want to pressure him before the election. This article highlights the humorous irony of not knowing a candidate's views in order to avoid disappointment.
JohnDubYa
Even some of Kerry's closest allies are having a hard time understanding his position on the No Child Left Behind Act, legislation that Kerry helped vote in but now opposes. Or does he? Reg Weaver of the NEA (a bitter opponent of the NCLB) certainly doesn't know.

Reg Weaver, the president of the 2.7 million-member National Education Association, which is backing Mr. Kerry's candidacy, said he's not concerned that the senator has not been speaking lately about a need to rewrite the law.

"He could say nothing as far as I'm concerned, but I'll bet you one thing," said Mr. Weaver, whose union has long argued that the law imposes unrealistic and unfair demands on schools and needs substantial legislative changes. "When I go into talk to him, I bet you there would be a recognition that something needs to be done, and it's going to be done."

He added, "I'm not trying to pin somebody down, you know, before they are elected. I want to get him elected first, all right?"

It's good that he isn't trying to pin Kerry down, because anyone trying to do so will go nuts.

http://www.edweek.org/ew/ewstory.cfm?slug=43kerryagenda_web.h23

By the way, this article is well worth the registration. There are some real gems in there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Funny, funny stuff. Yeah, I always make it a point to not know where a candidate stands on the issues. That way, its impossible to be disappointed! [/sarcasm]

When did the NEA start sounding so much like a teacher's union?

Absolutely. One should never pester a candidate by asking his views before an election. That is downright harrassment.

Related to Kerry's Position on NCLB: Confusing Even to Close Allies

What is NCLB?

NCLB stands for the No Child Left Behind Act, which was a federal education law passed in 2001 that required annual standardized testing and set specific goals for schools to meet in order to receive federal funding.

What is Kerry's position on NCLB?

John Kerry, a former US Senator and presidential candidate, has been critical of NCLB and has called for its revision or repeal. He believes that the law's emphasis on standardized testing has led to a narrowing of the curriculum and has not been effective in improving educational outcomes.

Why is Kerry's position on NCLB confusing?

Kerry's position on NCLB has been described as confusing because he has both voted in favor of the law and also criticized it. In 2001, he voted for the original legislation, but in 2007, he voted against its reauthorization and has since been vocal about his concerns with the law's impact.

Who are Kerry's close allies in regards to NCLB?

Kerry's close allies in regards to NCLB include other Democratic politicians and educators who share his criticisms of the law. Some notable allies have been Senator Edward Kennedy and Representative George Miller, who have also called for changes to the law.

Has Kerry proposed any specific changes to NCLB?

Yes, Kerry has proposed a number of changes to NCLB, including reducing the emphasis on standardized testing, increasing funding for schools in low-income areas, and providing more support and resources for struggling schools. He has also called for more accountability for states and districts in meeting the law's goals.