What is Whamageddon and how do you play?

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
It's the first of December. Let's start a Whamageddon at PF! The rules are easy:

1. You must declare participation once.
  2. Who is caught, i.e. is Whamageddoned is out.
  3. Cover songs or other annoying songs do not count.
    Nobody is interested in whether anyone wants anything for Christmas.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes pinball1970 and DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
I declare participation.

I observed that the advertising industry has become more careful, too. They joined Chris Rea driving home instead of Wham!ing the world.

I participate every year.

I got an edge: Christmas is not a shopping bonanza for us, so I can avoid malls and stores.

Likes DennisN
DaveC426913 said:
I participate every year.

I got an edge: Christmas is not a shopping bonanza for us, so I can avoid malls and stores.
The car radio is also dangerous.

Likes DennisN and DaveC426913
One day down! (I haven't gone to CVS...)

-Dan

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and DennisN
I'm in of course! :smile:

enamel-mug.jpg

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
I recuse myself from participating because it would be cheating. I did not know the song, so I googled it. I stopped listening to it after 10-15 s. I don't think that I will recognize it if I heard it again. Ignorance is bliss.

My bane is "Jingle Bells". Any version makes my blood boil. My local public radio station, normally a place of refuge which normally broadcasts classical music, has promised and is delivering a month of predominantly Christmas music. Resistance is futile.

• Haha
I'm in. I actually think there are worse Christmas songs out there but the bar is so low it does not make a huge amount of difference. I think I have may listed a few previously so I do not want to bring my mood down by listing them again.

• Haha
Likes DennisN
pinball1970 said:
I'm in. I actually think there are worse Christmas songs out there but the bar is so low it does not make a huge amount of difference.
It isn't a bad song, it is the earworm aspect that makes it annoying. Like this one on the night shift of a children's program here:

"This is the most boring country song in boring C major and it will be your catchy tune."

pinball1970 said:
I think I have may listed a few previously so I do not want to bring my mood down by listing them again.

Take this!

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
I actually think there are worse Christmas songs
I agree.

fresh_42 said:
It isn't a bad song, it is the earworm aspect that makes it annoying.
I agree.

Likes pinball1970
OK, I'll declare my participation as a show of support for the beleaguered.

I'll also declare that I've either already lost, last Thursday, or will definitely lose next Thursday. That's the night I teach classes at a pet food store for 4-5 hours. If y'all haven't worked in a retail establishment, you have no idea how awful Christmas music on repeat is. Seriously, UNHRC needs to take some action.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
DaveE said:
I'll also declare that I've either already lost, last Thursday,
Didn't start until Friday 1st.

The ladies are putting up Christmas decorations and changed the radio channel.
This means xmas songs will get played...

Chances of getting through the day unwhammed are slim.

As an aside I checked the rules with this in mind (in case you get three Whams or more) I liked these ones.

Players can play on a "player vs player" if they wish, by sending links to the song to friends to try and get them out of the game, although it is not encouraged

Playing "Last Christmas" outside another competitor's house is considered dastardly and should be avoided.

Editing videos to trick someone into playing the song themselves is allowed, although it is frowned upon and often considered a dishonorable move.

An acceptable alternative is to (previously) pair your mobile device with your competitor’s Alexa device (inside their home) and then WhamBomb! them from outside.

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes DennisN and DaveC426913
I survived! Not without a hit though. One of the females insisted decorating my room.
The horror.
IMG_20231205_152002_185.jpg

Likes DennisN
Just found on FB:
_nc_ohc=Ui45TZesoYkAX_noye1&_nc_ht=scontent-fra3-2.jpg
Translation: "Let's all be grateful that "Wham!" isn't playing on the radio yet."

Likes DennisN and pinball1970
I'm still going strong. No radio (except presumably safe internet radio stations) and no Christmas shopping (yet).

"Last Christmas they played me the song
But the very next day I threw the radio away
This year, to save both my ears
I hope I'm more successful"

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
Walked past the TV just as the most played Christmas song was revealed in some quiz program my wife was watching. So I'm out.

• Sad
The only radio I listen to is my Alexa, and I don't play Christmas music.

-Dan

I'm out.

• Sad
Likes DennisN
Filip Larsen said:
Walked past the TV just as the most played Christmas song was revealed in some quiz program my wife was watching. So I'm out.

pinball1970 said:
I'm out.

My condolences to you two victims.
It's a tough and rough struggle.
I wish you better luck next year! :smile:

• Care
Likes pinball1970 and Filip Larsen
topsquark said:
I will not open this link. I don't trust him.

-Dan
Just so you know I would never commit such a beastly act on PF, the story is a real one.

This is the story in the link.

1702386325225.png

• Haha
Likes Mondayman and topsquark
kuruman said:
I recuse myself from participating because it would be cheating. I did not know the song, so I googled it. I stopped listening to it after 10-15 s. I don't think that I will recognize it if I heard it again. Ignorance is bliss.
Yeah, me too. Although I am somewhat chagrinned to have drifted this far from the mainstream in search o
kuruman said:
Yeah, me too. Although I am somewhat chagrinned to have drifted this far from the mainstream in search of said bliss. I used to be one of the cool kids. No really.......
And it is not a very good song (bah! Humbug)
LaTeX

Gah! I was getting 5 teeth removed (count them... I actually lost weight this morning) and Wham! came on.

I'm out. Grrrrrr...

-Dan

• Sad
Likes DennisN
Filip Larsen said:
Good luck to the few remaining contestants. Hang in, you are almost there!
Thanks! Only one day left, but I don't want to get cocky. I need to get some Christmas gifts today. :smile:

I think Whamageddon is easier for me; I usually don't listen to mainstream radio and I can't say I like shopping, particularly in December.

DennisN said:
Thanks! Only one day left, but I don't want to get cocky. I need to get some Christmas gifts today. :smile:

I think Whamageddon is easier for me; I usually don't listen to mainstream radio and I can't say I like shopping, particularly in December.
Keep the dream alive! :bow:

-Dan

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Praise the heavens.... last Christmas I became a...

Likes topsquark