UK Govt Blocks Citizenship for 400 Gurkhas Who Fought for Britain

• News
  • Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
In summary, the Daily Mail reported that 400 Gurkhas who fought for Britain have been denied UK citizenship by the Government, prompting accusations of betrayal from supporters. Meanwhile, the soldiers themselves feel that they are being treated unjustly compared to the treatment given to asylum seekers. The issue has left some individuals, including a soldier quoted in the article, feeling frustrated and disillusioned. However, the underlying issue appears to be one of national values and priorities, with some countries, such as Australia, choosing not to offer citizenship to Gurkhas.
jimmy p
Gold Member
I haven't got an link to this because it doesn't seem to be on newspapers online, but maybe it will be in tomorrow's online news.

Anyway, from the Daily Mail

Four hundred Gurkhas who risked their lives fighting for Britain have had their applications for UK citizenship blocked by the Government.

Tony Blair was last night accused of an "appalling" betrayal of the retired soldiers, who have been battling for the right to become British. Supporters say the thousands of asylum seekers arriving in Britain every month are given a better deal and the Gurkhas are being treated unjustly...

I think this quote from a soldier says it all...

"We'd have better treatment if we jumped out of a truck at Dover"

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm totally in the dark re: this issue. Perhaps some pro and con links would help?

I don't think I would ever do anything to piss off a Gurkha.

This annoys me. The Ghurkas under Hong Kong have basically served Britain for years, no questions. They have always proved very loyal to whichever country owned them at the time.

Australia had the chance to gain some when HK went over to China, but turned them down.

But this is what happens when your nation is ruled by money.

1. Who are the Gurkhas and why did they fight for Britain?

The Gurkhas are a group of soldiers from Nepal who have been serving in the British Army for over 200 years. They have a long history of bravery and loyalty, and have played a crucial role in many wars and conflicts, including the two World Wars and numerous other conflicts around the world.

2. Why is the UK government blocking citizenship for 400 Gurkhas?

The UK government recently changed its immigration rules, making it more difficult for Gurkha veterans to obtain British citizenship. This is due to the government's belief that the Gurkhas do not have strong enough ties to the UK to justify granting them citizenship.

3. How does this decision affect the Gurkhas?

This decision has a significant impact on the Gurkhas as it denies them the opportunity to become British citizens and enjoy the same rights and benefits as other British citizens. It also means that they will not be able to bring their families to live with them in the UK.

4. What has been the response to the UK government's decision?

There has been widespread criticism and backlash against the UK government's decision. Many argue that the Gurkhas have sacrificed their lives for Britain and have earned the right to citizenship. Numerous petitions and campaigns have been launched to urge the government to reverse this decision.

5. Is there any hope for the Gurkhas to obtain citizenship in the future?

There is still hope for the Gurkhas to obtain citizenship in the future. The government has stated that they will consider exceptional cases on an individual basis, and there is also the possibility of challenging the decision through legal means. However, it is uncertain whether or not the government will change its stance on this issue.