Understanding Time Dilation Formula: Exploring the Concept of Time Dilation

In summary, the individual is having trouble understanding the time dilation formula. They are confused about the difference versus the factor. They are also confused about how to use the factor to multiply something else.
cd27
i had initially posted this thread a whle back andi t's been so long since it has been replied to that it's been placed in the archives (lol!). i am still however, having problems with it. i do not undertstand what this individual was talking about when they said i had a problem with the factor of time dilation.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=67782

cd

(p.s. i am only in teh beginning class of geometry)

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the issue that you are having with the time dilation formula? Is it a problem with the physics or with the math?

cd27, after a quick read of your original thread, it seems to me you're confused about "difference" versus "factor". All this is, is that whereas you calculated the difference [itex]\Delta t - \Delta t^\prime[/itex], people generally use the ratio [itex]\Delta t / \Delta t^\prime[/itex] when talking about time dilation:

[tex]\Delta t = \frac {\Delta t^\prime}{\sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac {\Delta t}{\Delta t^\prime} = \frac {1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}}[/tex]

This quantity comes up over and over again in relativity (not just in time dilation), so we call it [itex]\gamma[/itex] for short:

[tex]\gamma = \frac {1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}}[/tex]

so that

[tex]\frac {\Delta t}{\Delta t^\prime} = \gamma[/tex]

or

[tex]\Delta t = \gamma \Delta t^\prime[/tex]

We call [itex]\gamma[/itex] a factor because a factor is what you multiply something by, in order to get something else.

Last edited:
interseting...now can ask "why" they use ratio rather than difference?

cd

jtbell said:
[tex]\frac {\Delta t}{\Delta t^\prime} = \gamma[/tex]

does this mean divide? so i divide my originl time by the T' to get this "factor"?

also, so i get a factor (the purpose of the factor) is so that i can multiply it to something else-what other formulas (for some reason or another) would i multiply this to and why use a factor to do it?

sorry if i ask so many questions, i just hate mathematics, and it's not b/c it's a hard subject (it's actually rather simple-but like i said in my other thread, you don't know what you haven't learned), i just can't stand it when my teacher tells me to "do this" or gives me some type of formula without telling me why i am supposed to do it or why the person who came up with the formula did what they did.

i understand things much better when i understand why they are done. plus, I'm fascinated with understanding things. eh...it's just something i like to do.

cd

Right, it means divide.

In relativity, [itex]\gamma[/itex] turns up in formulas for length contraction, time dilation, relativistic momentum and energy, the Lorentz transformation, etc. As for why this is so, it comes out of the derivation of those formulas from the fundamental postulates of relativity. If you want to get into that stuff, ask the folks over in the relativity forum here for suggestions for books to get you started. You're getting into physics now, not math. :wink:

lol, i know a bit about physics as well.

cd

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object or observer moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields compared to a stationary object or observer. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation affect our perception of time?

Time dilation may cause time to appear to pass slower for objects or observers moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. This means that for someone traveling at high speeds, time may pass slower than for someone who is stationary.

3. What is the formula for time dilation?

The formula for time dilation is t0 = tf / √(1 - v2/c2), where t0 is the time measured by the stationary observer, tf is the time measured by the moving observer, v is the relative velocity between the two observers, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does time dilation impact space travel?

Time dilation has a significant impact on space travel as it affects the perception of time for objects traveling at high speeds in space. This can result in astronauts experiencing time differently compared to people on Earth, which can impact the planning and coordination of missions.

5. What are some real-world examples of time dilation?

Some real-world examples of time dilation include the time difference between a GPS satellite and a GPS receiver on Earth, the difference in time experienced by astronauts on the International Space Station compared to people on Earth, and the time dilation observed in particle accelerators.