What is the algebra concept used to derive time dilation formula?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's first post on a forum where they are seeking help with understanding the algebra concept used in deriving the time dilation formula. Another person responds and explains that the concept used is dividing both sides of an equation by a constant and provides resources for better understanding. The person thanks the responder and realizes their mistake in not dividing all terms when using the concept.
Woopa
Homework Statement
Time dilation derivation
Relevant Equations
Pythagoras theorem
Hi this is my first post the forum, nice to meet you all.

I am trying to derive the time dilation formula following the image attached. However I am unsure of the algebra being used toget from the 2nd line of working to the 3rd line. Can someone please tell me what the name of the algebra concept being used is and some resources I can use to understand it.

Thank you!

Attachments

• time dilation derivation_LI.jpg
    time dilation derivation_LI.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 98
Physics news on Phys.org
Woopa said:
Homework Statement:: Time dilation derivation
Relevant Equations:: Pythagoras theorem

Hi this is my first post the forum, nice to meet you all.

I am trying to derive the time dilation formula following the image attached. However I am unsure of the algebra being used toget from the 2nd line of working to the 3rd line. Can someone please tell me what the name of the algebra concept being used is and some resources I can use to understand it.

Thank you!
It's just doing two steps at once. First divide both sides by c2, and then factor out a t2 from the left hand side. I don't know if the "[]" brackets are confusing you, but if so they mean the same thing at parenthesis.

Isaac0427 said:
It's just doing two steps at once. First divide both sides by c2, and then factor out a t2 from the left hand side. I don't know if the "[]" brackets are confusing you, but if so they mean the same thing at parenthesis.

Thanks for replying Isaac.

I'm definitely doing something wrong. Here is my working below.

Attachments

• 1595140673302..jpg
    1595140673302..jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 108
Woopa said:
Thanks for replying Isaac.

I'm definitely doing something wrong. Here is my working below.
Ah. Be careful when you divide by c2; you have to divide ALL terms (including v2t2). After dividing by c2 you should get t2 - v2t2/c2 = t02.

I tutor math physics, and this is perhaps the most frequent algebra mistake I see. Division distributes to addition/subtraction. You just have to be careful when you divide a sum or difference by something to make sure you are dividing every term.

Likes Woopa
Isaac0427 said:
Ah. Be careful when you divide by c2; you have to divide ALL terms (including v2t2). After dividing by c2 you should get t2 - v2t2/c2 = t02.

I tutor math physics, and this is perhaps the most frequent algebra mistake I see. Division distributes to addition/subtraction. You just have to be careful when you divide a sum or difference by something to make sure you are dividing every term.
Got it! Thanks Isaac, beautiful explanation!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the algebra concept used to derive the time dilation formula?

The algebra concept used to derive the time dilation formula is the Lorentz transformation, which is a set of equations that describe how time and space coordinates change between two frames of reference moving at a constant velocity relative to each other.

2. How does the Lorentz transformation relate to the time dilation formula?

The Lorentz transformation is the mathematical framework used to derive the time dilation formula. It takes into account the principles of special relativity, including the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity, to describe how time is affected by the relative motion between two frames of reference.

3. Can you explain the time dilation formula in simple terms?

The time dilation formula, also known as the time dilation equation, is a mathematical expression that shows the relationship between time dilation and relative velocity. In simple terms, it states that the faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for that object when observed from a stationary frame of reference.

4. What are the variables in the time dilation formula and what do they represent?

The variables in the time dilation formula are t (time), t0 (proper time), v (relative velocity), and c (speed of light). t represents the time observed from a stationary frame of reference, t0 represents the time measured by a clock moving at a constant velocity, v represents the relative velocity between the two frames of reference, and c represents the speed of light.

5. How is the time dilation formula used in real-world applications?

The time dilation formula is used in various real-world applications, including space travel, particle accelerators, and GPS systems. It helps scientists and engineers account for the effects of time dilation when calculating precise measurements and making accurate predictions. Without this formula, many modern technologies and scientific advancements would not be possible.