Heat Energy Required: Calculate Q, C, ΔT

In summary: Q is the heat energy, C is the specific heat capacity, M is the mass, and ΔT is the change in temperature. However, some confuse it with the formula Q=cpdT, where c is the specific heat capacity at constant pressure and p is the pressure. It is important to specify which formula is being used in order to accurately calculate the heat energy required. Additionally, the time it takes to raise the temperature can be calculated by dividing the heat energy by the power input.
Damien H
Hi, wonder somone could help me, I am not physics expert. If a lube oil has a specific heat of 0.444Btu/Lb.F, how do I calculate the heat energy (kw) required to raise its temperature from 10C to 40C. Amount of liquid is 35L. Will I be able to calculate the time it takes to raise the temperature as well? someone told me its as easy as using the equation Q=CMΔT but another said I have to use Q=cpdT, I am confused!

Science news on Phys.org
Damien H said:
Hi, wonder somone could help me, I am not physics expert. If a lube oil has a specific heat of 0.444Btu/Lb.F, how do I calculate the heat energy (kw) required to raise its temperature from 10C to 40C. Amount of liquid is 35L. Will I be able to calculate the time it takes to raise the temperature as well? someone told me its as easy as using the equation Q=CMΔT but another said I have to use Q=cpdT, I am confused!

First i think you should specify which phisycal quantities hide behind those letters :-),
in any case The specific heat capacity of a material is:

[tex]
c={\partial C \over \partial m}
[/tex]

In absence of phase transition you have

[tex]
c=E_ m={C \over m} = {C \over {\rho V}}
[/tex]

where:

C is the heat capacity of a body made of the material in question,
m is the mass of the body,
V is the volume of the body, and

[tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V} [/tex] is the density of the material.

I bet this is the relation in your's formula:

[tex]
c_p=CM
[/tex]

where C is specific heat capacity at const pressure M the mass of the system and c_p is the body heat capacity at constant pressure.

I hope this answer can help you, in any case you can check this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_heat_capacity

bye

marco

Use this one:
Damien H said:
Q=CMΔT

1. What is the formula for calculating heat energy?

The formula for calculating heat energy is Q = mCΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How do you calculate the specific heat capacity?

The specific heat capacity (C) can be calculated by dividing the heat energy (Q) by the mass (m) of the substance and the change in temperature (ΔT). C = Q/mΔT

3. What is the unit of measurement for heat energy?

The unit of measurement for heat energy is joules (J).

4. Can you calculate the heat energy using only the change in temperature?

No, in order to calculate the heat energy (Q), you need to know the mass of the substance (m) and the specific heat capacity (C) as well as the change in temperature (ΔT).

5. How does the specific heat capacity affect the amount of heat energy required?

The specific heat capacity (C) determines how much heat energy is required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. Substances with a higher specific heat capacity require more heat energy to achieve the same change in temperature compared to substances with a lower specific heat capacity.