A reliable source for the terminal velocity of a tennis ball.

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for the terminal velocity of a tennis ball for a college paper. The initial result found was 9 m/s, but the person believes it to be incorrect due to faulty equipment. They are now seeking a reputable source for a numerical value and quickly found a result of 30 m/s through a Google search.
awesomginger
Hi there,
I've been looking over the internet for a while and I am looking to find the terminal velocity of a tennis ball from a reputable source. I am writing a paper for my college classical physics class. I found the terminal velocity for a tennis ball and it was about 9 m/s. I know this is incredibly wrong, so I want to find a reputable source that says it is wrong. ( I was using bad equipment, that's why my results were so messed up).

So if anyone can find an article that actually gives a terminal velocity of a tennis ball numerically that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind, paper is due tomorrow.

A quick google seems to show about 30-ish m/s

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that a falling object can reach when the force of gravity is balanced by the force of air resistance. At this point, the object will no longer accelerate and will continue to fall at a constant velocity.

2. Why is it important to have a reliable source for the terminal velocity of a tennis ball?

Having a reliable source for the terminal velocity of a tennis ball is important because it provides accurate information for understanding the physics of the ball's motion. This can be useful for sports and engineering applications, as well as for academic research.

3. How is the terminal velocity of a tennis ball determined?

The terminal velocity of a tennis ball is determined by the size, weight, and shape of the ball, as well as the density of the air and the force of gravity. It can be calculated using equations that take into account all of these factors.

4. Can the terminal velocity of a tennis ball change?

Yes, the terminal velocity of a tennis ball can change depending on the environment it is falling through. For example, if the air density changes, or if the ball is falling at a different altitude, the terminal velocity will also change.

5. How can I find a reliable source for the terminal velocity of a tennis ball?

A reliable source for the terminal velocity of a tennis ball can be found through scientific literature, such as peer-reviewed journals, textbooks, or reputable websites. It is important to ensure that the source is credible and based on accurate data and calculations.