How to evaluate a Triple Integral

In summary, you can integrate this equation for z in either polar or modified cylindrical coordinates.
squenshl
How would I evaluate the integral [tex]\int\int\int_{G}[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{4x^2+9y^2}[/tex] dV,
where G is the elliptic cylinder 4x2+9y2 [tex]\leq[/tex] 25,
0 [tex]\leq[/tex] z [tex]\leq[/tex] 6

Physics news on Phys.org
You can easily integrate for Z, since there's no Z in the integrand. Next, you need to do two changes of variables. The first is simply x'=2x and y'=3y. You will get a very familiar integral (don't forget the jacobian). Then you go in polar coordinates (Mr. Jacob is here too) to integrate a very very simple equation.

I was given a hint:
Try modified cylindrical coordinates with[tex]\vartheta[/tex] retaining its usual meanings, but with the meaning of r changed so that r2 = 4x2 + 9y2. You will need to make definitions such as x = a1r cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]
and y = a2 sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex], for some suitable numbers a1 and a2. You will need to calculate the jacobian for this mapping.

Yes you can do it. It's even simpler than what I said but it's exactly the same thing, except that it's in one single step.

So you have your answer or your stuck there?

Just a little bit stuck. I tried it but it didn't seem to work out.

I don't know how to start it. If someone would show me how to do this it would be really appreciated.

You need to define (x,y,z) with (r,t,z'):

[tex]
x = \frac{r}{2}cos\theta
[/tex]

[tex]
y = \frac{r}{3}sin\theta
[/tex]

[tex]
z = z'
[/tex]

[tex]
\left| J \right| = \begin{vmatrix} \frac{1}{2}cos\theta & -\frac{r}{2}sin\theta & 0 \\ \frac{1}{3}sin\theta & \frac{r}{3}cos\theta & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{vmatrix} = \frac{r}{6}
[/tex]

Noting that using this transformation, r is really equal to [itex]\sqrt{4x^2 + 9y^2}[/itex], you finally have this integral:

[tex]
\int_{r=0}^5 { \int_{\theta=0}^{2 \pi} { \int_{z'=0}^6 { r \frac{r}{6}dz' d\theta dr } } }
[/tex]

Of course. It's so obvious. Thanks heaps.

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional region, with each integral representing a different dimension.

2. What are the steps for evaluating a triple integral?

The steps for evaluating a triple integral are:

• Determine the limits of integration for each variable.
  • Set up the integral by writing the function to be integrated and the limits of integration.
  • Evaluate the innermost integral first, then the middle integral, and finally the outer integral.
  • Simplify the integral as much as possible, using algebraic techniques if needed.
  • Compute the final result.

3. How do I determine the limits of integration for a triple integral?

The limits of integration for a triple integral depend on the shape of the region being integrated over. For rectangular regions, the limits can be determined by finding the minimum and maximum values for each variable. For more complex regions, it may be necessary to use different coordinate systems, such as cylindrical or spherical coordinates, to determine the limits.

4. Can I change the order of integration for a triple integral?

Yes, the order of integration can be changed for a triple integral as long as the limits of integration are adjusted accordingly. This is known as changing the order of integration or using different coordinate systems. It can sometimes make the integral easier to evaluate or provide more insight into the problem at hand.

5. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when evaluating a triple integral?

Some common mistakes when evaluating a triple integral include:

• Forgetting to change the limits of integration when changing the order of integration.
  • Forgetting to account for any symmetry in the function being integrated.
  • Misinterpreting the limits of integration, which can lead to incorrect results.
  • Forgetting to simplify the integral before computing the final result.