Can Lorentz force be expressed as a function of z in a static electromagnetic field?

In summary, the particle is moving along z with a constant velocity, and the Lorentz force is a function of z.
1Keenan
Hi,

I have a particle moving in a static electromagnetic field in which E and B have the following components:
E=(Ex, 0, 0)
B=(-Bx, 0, 0)
and both depend on z, namely Ex(z) and Bx(z).
The particle is moving along z with constant velocity v=(0, 0, vz).

If I want to express Lorentz force as a function of z, is it correct to write:

F(z)=q [(E *cross (1/v)) *cross (1/v) + B *cross (1/v)]?

I get this equation considering F=q(E+v *cross B) as a system of 6 differential equations:

dx/dt=0
dy/dt=0
dz/dt=vz
dvx/dt= q*Ex/m
dvy/dt=q*Bx*vz/m
dvz/dt=0

and expressing them as a function of z

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 1Keenan! :smile:
1Keenan said:
dx/dt=0
dy/dt=0

No. :confused:
If I want to express Lorentz force as a function of z, is it correct to write:

F(z)=q [(E *cross (1/v)) *cross (1/v) + B *cross (1/v)]?

(write "x" not "*cross" :wink:)

Where do the 1/v come from? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
No. :confused:

Why?
My particle is moving along z and v=[0,0,vz]
of course it will have a displacement along x and y but the intial velocity has only one component.
Could you please explain your point?

tiny-tim said:
Where do the 1/v come from? :confused:

it comes from the differential equation:
dvx/dt=qEx/m
dvy/dt=qBxvz/m

I change the variable t in z... it is a bit of algebra I can write you everything if you want so you can double check my manipulation.

1Keenan said:
… the intial velocity has only one component.

but that doesn't mean that dx/dt = dy/dt = 0, not even initially :redface:
it comes from the differential equation:
dvx/dt=qEx/m
dvy/dt=qBxvz/m

I change the variable t in z... it is a bit of algebra I can write you everything if you want so you can double check my manipulation.

i still don't get it :redface:

tiny-tim said:
but that doesn't mean that dx/dt = dy/dt = 0, not even initially :redface:

What does it mean? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
i still don't get it :redface:

How do you write it down?
I don't understand what is tricky for you...

I was thinking, and actually I'm doing something stupid, but I'm really interested in expressing those differential equation as function of z and I'm lost in papers full of my wrong formulas...
at the moment I'm not able to calculate 1+1... :(

What is the Lorentz force?

The Lorentz force is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field.

What is the formula for calculating the Lorentz force?

The formula for calculating the Lorentz force is F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

What is the direction of the Lorentz force?

The direction of the Lorentz force is perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields and is determined by the right-hand rule. If the charge is positive, the force will be in the direction of the thumb, and if the charge is negative, the force will be in the opposite direction.

What is the significance of the Lorentz force in particle accelerators?

The Lorentz force plays a crucial role in particle accelerators as it is responsible for accelerating and guiding charged particles through the accelerator's electric and magnetic fields. Without the Lorentz force, particles would not be able to reach high energies necessary for experiments.

How is the Lorentz force related to the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz force is related to the Lorentz transformation through the electromagnetic field tensor. The electromagnetic field tensor describes the electric and magnetic fields in a specific reference frame and transforms under the Lorentz transformation, allowing us to understand how the fields and forces change in different reference frames.