Comparing T. Rex & Kangaroos: Biomechanics & Comparative Anatomy

• Thread starter charlieb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the shifting of posts from one section to another, and the potential violation of forum guidelines regarding speculative postings and mainstream science. The speaker also expresses frustration with the enforcing of these guidelines and threatens to quit posting. The other person in the conversation defends the mentors and the guidelines, and clarifies that science is not a democratic process. The conversation also includes a humorous exchange about wieners.
charlieb
I made a post in the biology section last night and its gone today. It was comparing T. Rex and Kangaroos. It was mostly biomechanics and comparative anatomy, which are squarely in the realm of biology. The idea may have been a little out there, but, that's how science moves forward.

I also had one of my posts about Chaco Canyon moved from Debunking and Skepticism to General Discussion. The original forum was the one where you want discussions of Chaco Canyon and the Anasazai.

Your starting to look like wieners on my very first day here. I've seen this kind of stuff in far too many forums. The operators yak about lofty scientific and democratic principles. They insist posters follow these principles. Then at the drop of a hat they indulge their own biases and violate these very same principles. Not very scientific or democratic.

If you don't cut it out I'm going to quit posting here!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I don't see how your post has been down-graded by its move from the Debunking forum to the Discussion forum. What is there to debunk in your post? :confused:

Another choice would have been to put it in the social sciences/history forums.

I didnt get to look at your post in the biology section, but you should have at least gotten a PM saying why your post was deleted and what guidelines were broken. Also please note that it was probably deleted becuase it wasnt main stream science, if that's what you mean by "a little out there".

Please re-read the forum guidelines regarding overly speculative posting and our requirements that topics be limited to mainstream science, and you'll have the answer as to why the post was deleted. There is nothing in our guidelines about democratic principles. If you have any further questions on it, contact the mentors via private message. If you don't like our guidelines, then nobody is forcing you to stay.

charlieb said:
The operators yak about lofty scientific and democratic principles. They insist posters follow these principles. Then at the drop of a hat they indulge their own biases and violate these very same principles. Not very scientific or democratic.

If you don't cut it out I'm going to quit posting here!

There's a reason for the guidelines, and IMHO the mentors do a good job on enforcing the guidelines.

Your starting to look like wieners on my very first day here.

That's not a very good comment to make on your first day now, is it?

charlieb said:
I've seen this kind of stuff in far too many forums. The operators yak about lofty scientific and democratic principles. They insist posters follow these principles.
Don't worry - we don't hold to any democratic principles here! Science is not a democratic process.

charlieb said:
I also had one of my posts about Chaco Canyon moved from Debunking and Skepticism to General Discussion. The original forum was the one where you want discussions of Chaco Canyon and the Anasazai.

I couldn't really figure out what your point was, but moving the thread wasn't intended as a slight of any kind.. At most you made an allusion to questions about food and technology, but you offered no references or links, and no definitive question. I nearly put it in the History section but thought that in GD you would get more activity.

Your starting to look like wieners on my very first day here.

That's funny because I do look exactly like a wiener. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
That's funny because I do look exactly like a wiener. :biggrin:
Woo, woo. :smile:

Related to Comparing T. Rex & Kangaroos: Biomechanics & Comparative Anatomy

1. How do the biomechanics of T. Rex and kangaroos compare?

The biomechanics of T. Rex and kangaroos differ significantly. T. Rex was a large, carnivorous dinosaur with powerful legs and a massive head, designed for hunting and taking down prey. On the other hand, kangaroos are marsupials with strong hind legs and a specialized tail for hopping and balance. Both have adaptations that suit their respective lifestyles, but they are not directly comparable in terms of biomechanics.

2. What are some similarities in the comparative anatomy of T. Rex and kangaroos?

Despite their vastly different lifestyles, T. Rex and kangaroos do share some anatomical similarities. Both have four limbs, a head with eyes, a mouth, and ears, and a tail. They also have skeletal structures such as a ribcage and a spine. However, the structure and function of these body parts may vary greatly between the two species.

3. How has the study of T. Rex and kangaroo biomechanics contributed to our understanding of evolution?

The study of T. Rex and kangaroo biomechanics has provided valuable insights into the process of evolution. By comparing the physical characteristics of these two animals, scientists can infer how their ancestors may have lived and adapted to their environments. This can help us understand the connections between different species and how they have changed over time.

4. Are there any major differences in the skeletal structure of T. Rex and kangaroos?

Yes, there are significant differences in the skeletal structure of T. Rex and kangaroos. T. Rex, being a dinosaur, has a more reptilian skeletal structure with a large, heavy head, and four sturdy limbs. Kangaroos, on the other hand, have a more mammalian skeletal structure, with a lighter head, specialized hind legs for hopping, and a tail for balance.

5. How do the diets of T. Rex and kangaroos differ based on their comparative anatomy?

The diets of T. Rex and kangaroos differ significantly due to their comparative anatomy. T. Rex was a carnivore, with sharp teeth and powerful jaws designed for hunting and eating meat. Kangaroos, on the other hand, are herbivores with flat molars for chewing plants and a specialized digestive system to break down tough plant material. This difference in anatomy is a direct reflection of their dietary habits.