Relationship between Kt and Km constants in a motor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Km and Kt, which can be calculated using the equation Kt (oz.-in) = 1.345 * Km (V/1000 rpm). This value of 1.345 comes from the conversion between electrical power and mechanical power, and is based on the motor efficiency. The motor constant, Km, is a useful tool for recommending replacement motors and is calculated using the equation Km = Kt/√Rt. The units for Km are oz.-in./watts in English units.
TheAnalogKid
I know how to measure Km, but I already know Kt from the datasheet and according to some motor calculation guide's I've found online, they say you can know one from the other by using the relationship:

Kt (oz.-in) = 1.345 * Km (V/1000 rpm)

I checked this on other motor's datasheets that give both Km and Kt, and the relationship is fairly accurate. So I'm wondering why? Where does this relationship come from?

Where does this 1.345 value come from? I'm trying to workout what the units of this factor would need to be to give me some kind of clue, but does anyone have an explanation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, I just realized that V*I = Watts = T*RPM . . and then take the motor efficiency to make up the discrepancy so the relationship value of 1.345 is between electrical power and mechanical power and that number arises from the units

The motor constant or Km defines the ability of the motor to transform electrical power to mechanical power and is a valuable tool for the application engineer particularly for recommending a “best fit” replacement for a competitor’s motor.
Motor Constant is calculated by the following equation (in English units):

Km = Kt/√Rt - where Kt is the torque sensitivity (oz.-in./amp) and Rt is the terminal resistance (ohms)
Units for Km are oz.-in./_watts (in English units)

--------------------------------
Creative thinking is breezy, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

1. What do Kt and Km constants represent in a motor?

Kt and Km are two constants that represent the torque and speed characteristics of a motor, respectively. They are used to calculate the output torque and speed of a motor based on the input voltage and current.

2. How are Kt and Km related to each other?

Kt and Km are inversely proportional to each other. This means that an increase in one constant will result in a decrease in the other. This is due to the physical properties of the motor, where an increase in torque will result in a decrease in speed, and vice versa.

3. Can the values of Kt and Km be changed?

The values of Kt and Km are inherent characteristics of a motor and cannot be changed. However, they can be measured and used to determine the performance of a motor.

4. How do Kt and Km affect the efficiency of a motor?

Kt and Km play a significant role in the efficiency of a motor. A higher Kt value means that the motor can produce more torque with the same amount of current, resulting in higher efficiency. On the other hand, a higher Km value means that the motor can run at higher speeds with the same amount of voltage, also leading to higher efficiency.

5. Can Kt and Km be used to compare different motors?

Yes, Kt and Km can be used to compare the performance of different motors. Motors with higher Kt values will have more torque, while motors with higher Km values will have higher speeds. However, it is essential to consider other factors such as motor size, weight, and cost when making comparisons.