Infinity and unique don’t mix.

• Thread starter Alestair
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the OP proposes that because space and time are infinite, there are an infinite number of this planet right now in this universe. The distance between each planet is probably unconceivable. Additionally, because time and space are infinite, there are an infinite number of this planet in the past and in the future. Therefore, nothing can ever be truly unique.
Alestair
Because space and time are infinite, doesn’t that make it impossible for anything to be truly unique. I propose there are an infinite number of this planet right now in this universe. The distance between each planet is probably unconceivable. Also there is an infinite number of this planet in the past and in the future. Not only is there an infinite number of Earth's exactly the same as this one, there are also an infinite number of this planet with slight differences and infinite number with extreme differences. This possibility is opened up because time and space are infinite. Nothing can ever be unique.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there are a lot of assumptions you have made which aren't necessarily true, like that space and time are infinite in ways which imply that our local configuration is repeated indefinitely in both.

So given what the OP said, how could you tell the difference between an infinite or a closed universe. If I set out traveling in some direction, in a closed universe I would, after some time, return to my starting place. But how can I differentiate between that or arriving at one of the duplicate planets in an infinite universe?

I see a number of assumptions in your post:
1. Space is infinite
2. Time is infinite
3. (1) and (2) imply that nothing is unique
4. There are infinitely many Earths (Earth = "exactly the same as this" planet)
5. The distance between the objects in (4) is "unconceivable".
6. (4) was and will be true (that is, together with (4), there are at least three points in time in which the generalization of (4) is true)
7. There are infinitely many near-Earths (near-Earth = "this planet with slight differences")
8. There are infinitely many foos (foo = this planet with "extreme differences")
9. Nothing is unique

I grant that, given (1), (2), and (3) your point (9) holds. But it's not obvious to me that any of (1)-(9) hold. Care to justify?

Alestair said:
Because space and time are infinite, doesn’t that make it impossible for anything to be truly unique. I propose there are an infinite number of this planet right now in this universe. The distance between each planet is probably unconceivable. Also there is an infinite number of this planet in the past and in the future. Not only is there an infinite number of Earth's exactly the same as this one, there are also an infinite number of this planet with slight differences and infinite number with extreme differences. This possibility is opened up because time and space are infinite. Nothing can ever be unique.

If we assume that space is infinite in spatial extension and time, an assumption not generally held to be true, I assume your assertion applies such a universe contains an infinite amount of matter or particles. Assume that is true. If we have an infinite number of configurations of this matter can we assume that among this infinite number of configuratiuons that all configurations will happen even once. Juggling with infinities is beyond me but the correct manipulations need care and are rarely intuitive.

Matheinste.

Related to Infinity and unique don’t mix.

1. What does the phrase "infinity and unique don't mix" mean?

The phrase "infinity and unique don't mix" is a scientific concept that refers to the idea that infinity, which represents something without limits or boundaries, cannot coexist with something that is unique or one-of-a-kind. This is because the concept of uniqueness implies a specific and defined quantity, which is incompatible with the limitless nature of infinity.

2. How does this concept apply to the universe?

In terms of the universe, the concept of "infinity and unique don't mix" suggests that the universe cannot be both infinite and unique in its composition. This is because an infinite universe would contain an infinite number of objects and possibilities, making it impossible for anything to be truly unique or one-of-a-kind.

3. Can you give an example of how "infinity and unique don't mix" in nature?

One example of how this concept applies in nature is the idea of infinite genetic variation in a species. While there may be an infinite number of possible genetic combinations within a species, each individual organism is still unique and distinct from all others. This shows how infinity and uniqueness can coexist, but only within certain boundaries and limitations.

4. How does this concept impact scientific research?

The concept of "infinity and unique don't mix" has a significant impact on scientific research, especially in fields such as astronomy and cosmology. It means that scientists must be mindful of the limits of their observations and understand that while the universe may seem infinite, there are still boundaries and limitations that must be considered in their research.

5. Is there any way to reconcile the idea of infinity and uniqueness?

While the concept of "infinity and unique don't mix" suggests that these two concepts cannot coexist, some scientists argue that there may be ways to reconcile them. Some propose the idea of a multiverse, where there are infinite universes with unique properties and compositions. However, this is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven.