Converging/diverging lense/mirrors, object in different places, image?

• Thread starter tvmakkon
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a table or resource that shows the type of images produced by lenses and concave/convex mirrors with objects in different positions, including virtual objects. The conversation also mentions an applet that may provide the answer, but the person is unable to access it. It is mentioned that these calculations can be done using ray optics, but there is no comprehensive table available.
tvmakkon
I have tried to search everywhere, but cannot find answer to this: does anyone know if there is a table etc. of what kind of images lenses and concave/convex mirrors produce with object in different places (real or virtual image, image magnification, upright/inverted), including virtual objects? It is easy to find sites showing what happens when object is in front of lense/mirror, but not virtual objects.

For example, if its a converging lense, and object is < f, lense produces magnified upright virtual image.

There is some kind of applet (http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=48.0) whuch might give the answer, but I cannot open it with my computer :/

This could be done by pend and paper of course, but I have a big entrance exam day after tomorrow and I do not simply have time so I would just memorize these quickly :(

Thank you so much for your help!

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
does anyone know if there is a table etc. of what kind of images lenses and concave/convex mirrors produce with object in different places (real or virtual image, image magnification, upright/inverted), including virtual objects?
... you can work these out for yourself using ray optics.
So no - you won't find a comprehensive table for them.

1. How do converging lenses and mirrors differ from diverging lenses and mirrors?

Converging lenses and mirrors are thicker in the middle and cause light rays to converge, or come together, at a focal point. Diverging lenses and mirrors are thinner in the middle and cause light rays to diverge, or spread apart.

2. What happens to the image formed when an object is placed at different distances from a converging lens or mirror?

The image formed by a converging lens or mirror will change in size and location depending on the distance of the object from the lens or mirror. When the object is closer to the lens or mirror, the image will be larger and farther away. When the object is farther away, the image will be smaller and closer to the lens or mirror.

3. How is the image formed by a diverging lens or mirror different from the image formed by a converging lens or mirror?

The image formed by a diverging lens or mirror will always be virtual and upright, while the image formed by a converging lens or mirror can be either real or virtual, and can be upright or inverted depending on the distance of the object from the lens or mirror.

4. Can an object be located at a point where its image through a converging lens or mirror is not formed?

No, an object must be located at a point where its image through a converging lens or mirror is formed, which is at a distance greater than the focal length of the lens or mirror.

5. How does the shape of a converging lens or mirror affect the image formed?

The shape of a converging lens or mirror affects the image formed by determining the degree to which light rays are bent as they pass through the lens or reflect off the mirror. A lens with a steeper curvature will cause greater bending of light rays and a shorter focal length, resulting in a larger and closer image. A lens with a flatter curvature will cause less bending and a longer focal length, resulting in a smaller and farther image.