Understanding Undefined Limits: The Truth About x=0 and Infinity

• Thread starter Checkfate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating limits and determining if they are undefined or represent infinity. It also mentions finding the coordinates of a point on a curve where the tangent is parallel to a given line. The conversation ends with a request for a hint on a different topic.
Checkfate
This question doesn't apply to any question I am working on, I am just trying to jog my memory.

If we are evaluating a limit and get the limit as x approaches 0 is 35/0 (for example!), the limit is still undefined correct? For some reason my mind is telling me it represents infinity... but I don't think this is right. lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
lol btw, title was supposed to read "SIMPLE limit question." :)

the limit is [tex] \infty [/tex], because you never actually hit 0. btw, are you m or f?

Male.

needed 10 characters.

Thanks for the help on 2 of my questions today, btw.

Limit question

Find the coordinates of the point on the curve f(x)=3x^2-4x, where the tangent is parallel to the line y=8x.

Ok i know the slope of the tangent is 8.

and i know the formula is m=[f(a+h)-f(a)]/h

i need a hint please

wrong thread.:confused:

FAQ: Understanding Undefined Limits: The Truth About x=0 and Infinity

1. What is an undefined limit?

An undefined limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the independent variable (usually denoted as x) approaches a specific value (usually denoted as a). If the value of the function at the specific value a is not defined or does not exist, the limit is considered undefined.

2. Can a function have an infinite limit?

Yes, a function can have an infinite limit. This occurs when the value of the function approaches either positive infinity or negative infinity as the independent variable approaches a specific value. In this case, the limit is said to be infinite.

3. Why is x=0 often a special case when dealing with limits?

X=0 is often considered a special case because it is the boundary between positive and negative numbers. In the context of limits, it is often used to determine the behavior of a function as it approaches the value of 0, which can sometimes lead to undefined or infinite limits.

4. How do you determine the limit of a function at x=0?

To determine the limit of a function at x=0, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring or simplifying the expression. You can also use graphical methods, such as plotting the function on a graph or using a graphing calculator. Additionally, you can use the limit laws and rules to evaluate the limit at x=0.

5. Is it possible for a function to have a finite limit at x=0?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a finite limit at x=0. This occurs when the value of the function approaches a specific real number as the independent variable approaches 0. In this case, the limit is said to be finite and can be determined using various mathematical techniques.