Specific Heat / Debye Temperature

In summary, the question asks for the temperature at which the specific heat of free electrons becomes greater than the specific heat of the lattice, expressed in terms of the Debye temperature and electron concentration. To solve this, one must use the equation c_v = \alpha T + \gamma T^3, where \alpha and \gamma are constants related to the Debye temperature and electron concentration. In the low temperature limit, the linear term corresponds to the electrons and the cubic term corresponds to the lattice. By setting the ratio of these two terms equal to 1, one can solve for T to find the temperature at which the specific heat of free electrons becomes larger than the specific heat of the lattice.
steph_mil

Homework Statement

At what temperature T does the specific heat of the free electrons become larger than the specific heat of the lattice? Express T in terms of the Debye temperature and the electron concentration. Calculate T for copper (Debye = 343 K).

Homework Equations

Unfortunately, I have a ton of equations but have no clue which one to use. There are different equations for low and high temperatures, so I'm not sure where to start with this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Once I have the first part, I can solve for T for copper. I think I'm supposed to use some equations involving heat capacity and temperature, but no clue which one? Any hints may help! My book (Kittel's intro to solid state) is not helping...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming this is being done in the low temperature limit, where the total (constant volume) heat capacity of the metal goes as [itex] c_v = \alpha T + \gamma T^3[/itex], where the linear term corresponds to the electrons and the cubic term corresponds to the lattice (phonons). (In the high temperature limit both capacities, per particle, should be the same, making for a much less interesting problem!) I'm assuming you have what [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] are in your list of equations - I can't remember what they are, but the debye temperature is buried in [itex]\gamma[/itex], and presumably the electron concentration is buried in [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Anyways, from there it's a simple matter: determine when [itex]\alpha T/(\gamma T^3) = \alpha/(\gamma T^2) > 1[/itex].

1. What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass. It is a measure of the amount of energy needed to change the temperature of a material.

2. How is specific heat calculated?

Specific heat is calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy absorbed by the substance by the change in temperature and the mass of the substance.

3. What is the significance of specific heat?

Specific heat is an important physical property that helps us understand the thermal behavior of materials. It is used in various engineering and scientific applications such as designing heating and cooling systems, predicting temperature changes in chemical reactions, and analyzing the thermal properties of materials.

4. What is Debye temperature?

Debye temperature is a characteristic temperature of a solid material that describes how the atoms in the material vibrate. It is named after physicist Peter Debye and is often used to explain the thermal properties of solids at low temperatures.

5. How is Debye temperature related to specific heat?

There is an inverse relationship between Debye temperature and specific heat. As Debye temperature increases, the specific heat of a material decreases. This is because at higher Debye temperatures, more energy is required to change the vibrational state of the atoms, resulting in a lower specific heat value.