Complicated child support case

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary: So she's just looking for sex and love. I believe the guy also felt the same way. It's the step father's fault and the parents. They should have known better.In summary, a 19-year-old girl from Ohio was accused of molesting a 15-year-old boy. She was staying at his family's home due to allegations of abuse by her stepfather. The girl became pregnant and paternity tests proved the boy as the father. Despite the illegal nature of the act, the court has ordered the boy to pay $50 a month in child support. There are questions about whether the boy consented or was coerced. Some argue that both parents should be held responsible for
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_25898.aspx
It began when a 19-year-old girl from the town of Lancaster, Ohio was accused of molesting a 15-year-old boy. Jane Crane was allowed to stay at the child's Columbus-area home when allegations surfaced that her stepfather was being abusive.

But something apparently clicked between the girl and the underage son of those providing her temporary refuge. She's since been charged with unlawful sexual conduct, after allegedly having physical relations at least twice with the underage boy.

So far, the story is somewhat sad, but not that unusual.

But here's where it takes an odd turn. The teen became pregnant as a result of the encounter and paternity tests prove the boy is the father of the little girl, who was born in late April.

Now a court has ordered the youngster to pay $50 a month child support, despite the fact the act that resulted in the child's birth was apparently illegal.

Seems unfair to the boy since this was statuatory rape.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:

From what you posted, there's nothing to suggest that it wasn't consensual. Just because she did something illegal, doesn't relieve him of responsibility for his actions.

If this did go down as reported, and she is convicted of the crimes she is accused of, then the boy was unable to legally consent to sexual activity due to being underage.

Can you imagine? First being victimized by someone he thought he could trust, and then being ordered to pay that person for the next 18 years. This kid is probably going to need a good therapist no matter how it pans out, which is really unfortunate.

Statutory rape is a load of crap. 15 year olds had kids all the time "back in the day" and 18 is a really arbitrary number.

The only question is did he consent or not? He might have been coerced or threatened. If he just decided to jump right in, well that's how it goes. Should have had a condom.

Mike H said:
First being victimized by someone he thought he could trust, ...

Every 15 year old's wet dream? The real issue is where were the adults.

As a minor, they are the ones on the hook for the child support anyway. I'd be surprised if he feels victimized yet.

Now maybe the parents might feel victimized, but then again there is a wide range of possibilities as to the circumstances here, so even that is hard to know.

Math Is Hard said:

Girls who get raped and pregnant, are stuck to care for the child (usually).

Guy gets raped and girl gets pregnant, so he also gets stuck to care for the child.

Kind of weird.

Math Is Hard said:
Child support is not for the benefit of the caretaker it is for the benefit of the child, hence I am of the opinion that both parents should to be held responsible for the raising of the child.

Very sad story.

WarPhalange said:
The only question is did he consent or not?

Legally, no.

There are so many child support issues in this world and what ever surprises me is how anyone can possibly refuse to support their own biological child. The child has no fault in how it was conceived and is not accountable for the quality of the relationship between the biological parents .

Math Is Hard said:
Legally, no.

Yeah, the law is messed up, I thought I had mentioned that in my post? Legally you get sent into a small cell for a number of years for holding some grass in your pocket.

It might be the best possible outcome if the boy's parents are awarded custody of the baby. Poor kid. It sounds like mother and baby have gone back to the "abusive" home she was trying to escape. If the mother goes to jail, the baby could possibly be left in a bad or even dangerous situation for a while.

Stories like this are bound to happen as long as the law forbids abortions for men.

jimmysnyder said:
Stories like this are bound to happen as long as the law forbids abortions for men.

That's a bit like a law to un-ring a bell.

Or un-shoot a bullet.

jimmysnyder said:
Very true, I think.

Both of the kids probably knew better. It's more likely than not that they intended on having sex but did not intend on having a baby.

On a related note, how does the law deal with sex between two underaged participants?

Gokul43201 said:
On a related note, how does the law deal with sex between two underaged participants?

I remember a case (in the US) where the male was charged. Nothing happened to the female.

Ha ha...I got to say, there's a line where the government really shouldn't be allowed to cross, like what Gokul is mentioning...

I wonder why she didn't do abortion.

I think all blame goes to her step father

1. What is considered a complicated child support case?

A complicated child support case is one in which there are various factors that make the determination of child support payments more difficult. These factors can include multiple children from different relationships, high income earners, self-employment income, shared or split custody, and special needs of the child.

2. How is child support calculated in a complicated case?

In a complicated child support case, the calculation of child support may involve more detailed analysis of the income and expenses of both parents, as well as the needs of the child. This may require the use of specialized software or the assistance of a financial or legal professional.

3. Can child support be modified in a complicated case?

Yes, child support can be modified in a complicated case if there is a change in circumstances that warrants a modification. This could be due to a change in income, the needs of the child, or a change in custody arrangements.

4. How long does a complicated child support case typically take to resolve?

The length of time it takes to resolve a complicated child support case can vary depending on the complexity of the case and the cooperation of both parties involved. It can range from a few months to several years.

5. What should I do if I am involved in a complicated child support case?

If you are involved in a complicated child support case, it is important to seek the guidance of a lawyer who specializes in family law. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your rights and the best interests of the child are protected.