Solving a Matrix Question: -8x-5y-9z=4

• Thread starter Melawrghk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation is discussing two different problems involving solving equations with multiple variables. The first problem involves substituting values for y and z to solve for x, while the second problem involves reducing a matrix to its reduced-row echelon form and then back substituting to solve for x, y, and z.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

Solve: -8x-5y-9z=4

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to know if I'm doing this correctly...

There is only one equation given, so I expressed x in terms of y and z and got:
x=-5/8y-9/8z-1/2
then I set y=s and z=t
x=-(5/8)s -(9/8)t -1/2

so I'd enter the answers as:
x = -(5/8)s-(9/8)t-1/2
y = s
z = t

Is that correct? I only have one attempt for the online assignment.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try checking it yourself. You have three variables and one equation, so there must be multiple solutions as you suggested. You should be able to pick arbitrary values for "s" (y) and "t" (z) to determine your "x". Do they satisfy the given equation?

Yeah it looks ok.

Thanks! It was right. I have another problem though. This one I'm actually stuck on...

solve the system:
6A-2B+3C=4
1A+6B-6C=20
3A-1B-2C=9

I made the matrix:
6, -2, 3, 4
1, 6, -6, 20
3, -1, -2, 9

And through some simple things I got to:
1, -13, 11, -31
0, 19, -17, 51
0, 0, 5, -14

After which I don't know what to do... Help?

Well, you've reduced the matrix to a row-echelon form. Why not perform further row reduction to reduce it to its reduced-row echelon from? Remember that the leading entry of every pivot column of a RREF matrix is 1.

Assuming that is correct (I haven't checked the calculations), those now correspond to x- 13y+ 11z= -31, 19y- 17z= 51, and 5z= -14.

Now you can "back substitute". Solve the last equation for z, substitute that into the second equation and solve for y, then substitute those two values for y and z into the first equation and solve for x.

Related to Solving a Matrix Question: -8x-5y-9z=4

1. What is a matrix equation?

A matrix equation is an equation that contains matrices. In this case, the equation -8x-5y-9z=4 can be written as [ -8 -5 -9 ] [ x ] = [ 4 ].

2. How do you solve a matrix equation?

To solve a matrix equation, you first need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using basic algebra operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Then, you can use matrix operations such as matrix multiplication and inverse to solve for the variable.

3. What is the purpose of solving a matrix equation?

The purpose of solving a matrix equation is to find the values of the variables that make the equation true. This can be useful in many areas of science and mathematics, such as in solving systems of equations, finding the inverse of a matrix, and in computer graphics and engineering.

4. Can a matrix equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a matrix equation can have multiple solutions. This is because matrices can have infinite solutions when they are inconsistent or when they have dependent rows or columns. Inconsistent matrices have no solutions, while dependent matrices have infinite solutions.

5. What are some applications of solving a matrix equation?

Solving matrix equations has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve systems of linear equations, find the inverse of a matrix, and in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.