Human Intestines: Comparing Worms & Humans

• Thread starter Pranav Jha
  • Start date
In summary, earthworms have a simple and relatively straight intestinal tract because they have a highly efficient digestive system that works in conjunction with the bacteria in their gut. On the other hand, humans have a more complex and extensively folded intestinal tract due to our omnivorous diet and less efficient digestive system.
Pranav Jha
Nourishment is obtained from food through the inner surface area of the intestines. Why is it that a small organism, such as a worm, has a simple and relatively straight intestinal tract, while a large organism, such as a human being, has a complex and extensively folded intestinal tract?

i think this has to with greater surface area to volume ration of earthworm and thus a higher metabolic rate but i am not sure.
Please give a coherent answer

Biology news on Phys.org
I think you are right.

Pranav Jha said:
Nourishment is obtained from food through the inner surface area of the intestines. Why is it that a small organism, such as a worm, has a simple and relatively straight intestinal tract, while a large organism, such as a human being, has a complex and extensively folded intestinal tract?

i think this has to with greater surface area to volume ration of earthworm and thus a higher metabolic rate but i am not sure.
Please give a coherent answer

Earthworms (order Haplotaxida, suborder Lumbricina) have a crop, gizzard and intestine. Food is stored in the crop, passed to the gizzard where it is ground up and enzymes are added, and the intestine actually extracts the nutrition. The intestine runs most of the length of the body, it has thousands of projections that are filled with blood vessels.

The main thing to understand is that earthworms have a special relationship with bacteria. Yes, humans have lots of flora and fauna in our guts too, but worms basically swim in a sea of bacteria. They are at the top of their food chain and the enzymes secreted in the intestine work with the bacteria so that the earthworm gets its nutrition but many beneficial bacteria will pass through unharmed. Most pathogenic bacteria are destroyed.

I'm not a biologist and I am trying to give you a coherent answer. My understanding is that the specifics of this bacterial/enzymatic system are poorly understood on a detailed level.

My best answer is that it's not a matter of metabolic rate per se but a matter of efficiency and simplicity.

The worm's digestive system is highly evolved and efficient and there are normally no microorganisms it cannot deal with. On the other hand, we are omnivores with much less efficient systems. Our feces stink because there is so much organic matter that we could not extract nutrition from. Earthworm castings are essentially "perfect" feces in that they consist of "completely broken down" organic material, where the minerals are highly available to plant rootlets. The castings are also coated with a mucus consisting of (IINM) live bacteria that do great things for the soil.

FAQ: Human Intestines: Comparing Worms & Humans

1. How are the human intestines different from worms?

The human intestines are much longer and more complex than those of worms. Worms typically have a simple, straight digestive tract, while humans have a highly coiled and folded intestine that allows for greater surface area for absorption.

2. Do worms and humans have a similar number of intestines?

No, worms typically have only one intestine, while humans have two intestines - the small intestine and the large intestine.

3. Can worms and humans digest the same types of food?

No, worms have a simpler digestive system and can only digest organic material, such as dead plants and animals. Humans, on the other hand, have a more complex digestive system that is able to digest a wide variety of foods, including carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.

4. How do worms and humans absorb nutrients from their intestines?

Worms absorb nutrients through their body wall, while humans absorb nutrients through the lining of their small intestine. The small intestine is lined with finger-like structures called villi, which increase the surface area for absorption.

5. Can worms and humans both suffer from intestinal parasites?

Yes, both worms and humans can suffer from intestinal parasites, but the types of parasites that affect them are different. Worms are more susceptible to parasitic worms, while humans can also be affected by a variety of bacteria, viruses, and protozoa.

Back