Simple Riemann Sums question with answers not lining up

In summary, we have two methods for finding the area enclosed by the curve y = 3x^2 and the x-axis from x = 1 to x = 4: using antidifferentiation and using summation of rectangles. While both methods yield the same result of 63 square units, there may be discrepancies if the summation of rectangles method is not done correctly. It is important to carefully consider the width of the rectangles and their corresponding values of x in order to accurately calculate the area.
singleton
Please tell me if I am doing the summation of rectangular areas wrongly.

Using summation of rectangles, find the area enclosed between the curve y = 3x^2 and the x-axis from x = 1 to x = 4.

Now, before I answer the way it asks, I want to use antidifferentiation first to see what I should expect.
A'(x) = F'(x) = 3x^2
Therefore F(x) = x^3

Area = F(4) - F(1)
= 64 - 1
= 63 square units, correct?

Now, using the summation of rectangles I do this:

I start by finding the width of the rectangles: (4-1)/n = 3/n
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n\ f(x) * (3/n)[/tex]
[tex]= \sum_{k=1}^n\ [3(k * 3/n)^2] * (3/n)[/tex]
[tex]= \sum_{k=1}^n\ [3 * k^2 * 9/n^2] * (3/n)[/tex]
[tex]= 81/n^3\sum_{k=1}^n\ k^2[/tex]
[tex]= 81/n^3 * n(n+1)(2n+1)/6[/tex]
[tex]= 81/6 * n(n+1)(2n+1)/n^3[/tex]
[tex]= 27/2 * (n+1)(2n+1)/n^2[/tex]

Then I do the limit and find 27/2 * (n+1)/n * (2n+1)/n
= 27/2 * (1 + 1/n)(2 + 1/n)
As n approaches infinity, 1/n = 0

27/2 * (1 + 0)(2 + 0)
Thus I end up with 27 square units.

Two very different answers. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with the sums, as far as my book is concerned I'm following all "legal" rules. I've read and re-read this a few times and I don't notice any glaring mistake (on my sore eyes).

Physics news on Phys.org
You have [tex]= \sum_{k=1}^n\ [3(k * 3/n)^2] * (3/n)[/tex]

so, I take it, x= (3k)/n. what is that when k= 1? Your integral is supposed to start at x= 1 isn't it?

What is x when k= n? Wasn't your integral supposed to end at x= 4?

HallsofIvy said:
You have [tex]= \sum_{k=1}^n\ [3(k * 3/n)^2] * (3/n)[/tex]

so, I take it, x= (3k)/n. what is that when k= 1? Your integral is supposed to start at x= 1 isn't it?

yes, x = 3k/n (the iteration of rectangle times the width).

when k = 1, x = 3/n :bugeye:

What is x when k= n? Wasn't your integral supposed to end at x= 4?

When k = n... x = 3 :uhh:

Back to the drawing board :tongue2: (sorry for something so stupid!)

And thanks for making me think :biggrin:

I'm thinking it should be x = 1 + k * 3/n
I'll punch it in and see how that works out. It would seem to satisfy both k = 1 and when k = n.
(Off by one...shudder...reminds me of my C programming :biggrin:)

Last edited:
Thanks again, HallsofIvy

I gave it a work through and it turned out 63 square units like the other method does.

I would list my results for others to see, only it takes me forever to edit tex by hand :(

1. What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles, calculating the area of each rectangle, and then summing them together.

2. How do you calculate a Riemann Sum?

To calculate a Riemann Sum, you first need to determine the interval over which you want to approximate the area. Then, divide the interval into smaller subintervals and choose a representative point within each subinterval. Finally, plug these values into the Riemann Sum formula: ∑f(xi)Δx.

3. What is the purpose of a Riemann Sum?

The purpose of a Riemann Sum is to estimate the area under a curve when the exact value cannot be determined using traditional methods. It is a tool used in calculus to solve problems involving continuous functions and infinite series.

4. What are the types of Riemann Sums?

The two main types of Riemann Sums are the Left Riemann Sum and the Right Riemann Sum. The Left Riemann Sum uses the left endpoint of each subinterval as the representative point, while the Right Riemann Sum uses the right endpoint.

5. How accurate is a Riemann Sum?

The accuracy of a Riemann Sum depends on the number of subintervals used. The more subintervals, the closer the approximation will be to the exact area under the curve. As the number of subintervals approaches infinity, the Riemann Sum becomes more accurate and approaches the exact value.