Lie Derivatives and Parallel Transport

In summary, parallel transport can be used to understand how a vector changes when you drag in along a curve on a certain surface. This information is encoded in the connection, but using only Lie Derivatives to calculate the change.
PhizzyQs
Hi, I've begun learning about General Relativity, though I've already had some exposure to differential geometry.

In particular, I understand that Lie Differentiation is a more "primitive" process than Covariant Differentiation (in that the latter requires some sort of connection).

My question is this: parallel transport can be used to understand how a vector changes when you drag in along a curve on a certain surface. To be sure, you institute local coordinates, compute the metric, and then the connection (here, the connection being used, in this coordinate basis, are the Christoffel symbols), and then solve the differential equation.

In this way, you can find out, for instance, how much the vector changes its direction under a certain curve. But, is this information only encoded in the connection? That is to say, to find out how much the vector deviates, must I employ parallel transport, or is there some procedure, using only Lie Derivatives, to examine the change?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lie derivatives also define a sort of transport. However, the covariant derivative does not depend on objects outside the curve, while the Lie derivative does. So in Lie transport, the curve must be specified as an integral curve of a vector field.

The absolute derivative of a vector uμalong a curve with tangent vector vμ is uμvν (this is zero for parallel transport), whereas the Lie derivative along the same curve is uμvν - vμuν.

I think what you mean by "outside the curve" is that the Lie derivative depends on the gradient of v, not just v itself.

Bill_K said:
I think what you mean by "outside the curve" is that the Lie derivative depends on the gradient of v, not just v itself.

Yes, so v must be a vector field, and not just the tangent vector to a curve.

Oh, I know that much. My main concern is calculating angular deviation from using Lie derivatives.

I tried this: I begin with a vector A, and there are points P, and Q. They are connected by a curve Y, parametrized by an affine parameter t, whose tangent vector is u = dY(t)/dt. Using the pullback on the isomorphism generated by u, I take the vector from P to Q. Then, I use the metric at P to find <A(Q), u(Q)>. I compare this with <A(P), u(P)>. Given affine parametrization, u does not change under parallel transport, so I think this would be accurate.

EDIT: I am a little bit querulous about my last assumption there, and am examining it now.

Last edited:

1. What is a Lie derivative?

A Lie derivative is a mathematical operator that describes how a vector field changes along another vector field. It is used to determine the rate of change of a vector field at a given point in space.

2. What is parallel transport?

Parallel transport is a mathematical concept that describes how a vector or tensor is transported along a curve without changing its direction. It is used to compare vectors at different points along a curve.

3. How are Lie derivatives and parallel transport related?

Lie derivatives and parallel transport are related in that the Lie derivative of a vector field is used to determine the parallel transport of that vector field along a curve. In other words, the Lie derivative describes the change in a vector field as it is transported along a curve.

4. What is the significance of Lie derivatives and parallel transport in physics?

Lie derivatives and parallel transport are important concepts in physics, particularly in the study of spacetime. They are used in theories such as general relativity to describe the parallel transport of vectors and tensors along curved spacetime, and to calculate the dynamics of physical systems.

5. How are Lie derivatives and parallel transport used in practical applications?

Lie derivatives and parallel transport have practical applications in various fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and fluid dynamics. They are used to study the behavior of objects moving in a curved space, and to calculate the movement of fluids and other physical systems.