Solving Combinatorics Sum: Feyman's Logic Problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a sum involving factorials and binomial coefficients. The original sum is \sum_{i=k}^{n} \frac{i!}{(i-k)!} and the conversation discusses different approaches to solving it, including using the gamma function and generating functions. The final approach mentioned is using the identity \sum_{i=k}^{n} i{i-1 \choose k-1}=k{n+1 \choose k+1}.
nowonda
Hi all,

Can anyone gimme any clues to solve the sum below (or solve it outright :D)?

[tex]\sum_{i=k}^{n} \frac{i!}{(i-k)!}[/tex]

I'm trying to solve one of Feyman's logic problems (bored geek alert) and I'm stuck at this point. And since my high school days are so far behind...

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
if it helps it's the sum of k! * i choose k

or you could break it down into gamma(i+1)/(gamma(i-k+1)

Thanks for the input, jwatts, but I'm afraid I didn't get much, I did warn you my high school days are way behind me..

What do you mean by "choose k"?

As for the gamma function, I kinda think I'm going to get even farther from the answer, considering my current ability.

n choose k = n!/k!(n-k)! it's called the binomial coefficient

saying it's k!*(n choose k) is kind of redundant but it let's you look at it in a different way
same way as looking at it like a gamma, even though gamma is used for continuous situations normally

ok so the sum goes a bit like this k!(1+ (k+1)+((k+2)(k+1)/2)+((k+1)(k+2)(k+3)/3)+...)

Oh, I see what you mean. Unfortunately that doesn't help, as it's precisely the way I got up to this point :) I'm not familiar with the "n choose k" terminology, that's why I was confused.

Thanks anyway, I'll keep trying.

It's possible with generating functions: use the fact that (i choose k) is the coefficient of x^k in (1+x)^i, so the sum is the coefficient of x^k in k!*((1+x)^n-(1+x)^k)/x.

Thanks a lot for your help, ssd! I really really appreciate it :)

However, in the meantime I changed my approach a bit (was trying to solve Feynman's Restaurant Problem) and I managed to get to a simpler sum, which I was able to calculate, to my complete surprise. I guess it just was way easier, although the method I used is for sure not optimal :)

[tex]\sum_{i=k}^{n} i{i-1 \choose k-1}=k{n+1 \choose k+1}[/tex]

But thanks again for your solution, I'll sure learn something from your reasoning.

Cheers!

Related to Solving Combinatorics Sum: Feyman's Logic Problem

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and organizing objects or events based on specific rules or constraints.

2. What is Feyman's Logic Problem?

Feyman's Logic Problem is a combinatorics problem posed by physicist Richard Feynman that involves solving a specific logic puzzle using mathematical principles.

3. What is the purpose of solving combinatorics sum?

The purpose of solving combinatorics sum is to find the number of possible outcomes or arrangements in a given scenario, which can be useful in many real-world applications such as probability, statistics, and computer science.

4. How do you approach solving combinatorics problems?

The approach to solving combinatorics problems involves breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using mathematical formulas or principles such as combinations, permutations, and the multiplication principle to find the total number of possible outcomes.

5. Are there any tips for solving combinatorics problems?

Some tips for solving combinatorics problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, drawing diagrams or making lists to organize the information, and practicing with similar problems to improve problem-solving skills.