Solve Combinatorics Problem with 3 & 5 Digits: Help Needed!

In summary, there are 10^n different n digit numbers in total - variations made from the digits 0,...,9. There are 8^n of those that don't contain 3 and 5 which we have to eliminate from those. Now we have to eliminate the numbers that start with one zero, so there are 10^(n-1) of those, then there are 10^(n-2) that start with two zeros, etc, up until the 1 n digit number that is made out of n zeros.I'm stuck. This isn't right, but I can't seem to see what I'm doing wrong. Please help me if you can!
Puzzles
Hi! I've been stuck with this problem:

How many different n digit numbers are there that contain the numbers 3 and 5?

I've approached it like this: There are 10^n different n digit numbers in total - variations made from the digits 0,...,9. There are 8^n of those that don't contain 3 and 5 which we have to eliminate from those. Now we have to eliminate the numbers that start with one zero, so there are 10^(n-1) of those, then there are 10^(n-2) that start with two zeros, etc, up until the 1 n digit number that is made out of n zeros.

I'm stuck. This isn't right, but I can't seem to see what I'm doing wrong. Please help me if you can!

Physics news on Phys.org
Puzzles said:
Isn't it $2^n$?

When we say "an $n$-digit number", it is usually assumed that leading zeros are not allowed. So there are $9\cdot10^{n-1}$ $n$-digit decimal numbers.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Isn't it $2^n$?

When we say "an $n$-digit number", it is usually assumed that leading zeros are not allowed. So there are $9\cdot10^{n-1}$ $n$-digit decimal numbers.

I think that's the number of n-digit different numbers made up of only 3s and 5s.

Puzzles said:
Hi! I've been stuck with this problem:

I've approached it like this: There are 10^n different n digit numbers in total - variations made from the digits 0,...,9. There are 8^n of those that don't contain 3 and 5 which we have to eliminate from those. Now we have to eliminate the numbers that start with one zero, so there are 10^(n-1) of those, then there are 10^(n-2) that start with two zeros, etc, up until the 1 n digit number that is made out of n zeros.

I'm stuck. This isn't right, but I can't seem to see what I'm doing wrong. Please help me if you can!
I would use an inclusion-exclusion method for this.

There are $9\cdot10^{n-1}$ $n$-digit numbers. If we look for $n$-digit numbers that do not contain a $3$ then we only have nine digits to use (and only eight choices for the first digit, since that cannot be $0$). So there are $8\cdot 9^{n-1}$ $n$-digit numbers without any $3$s. Subtract those from the total and you see that there are $9\cdot10^{n-1} - 8\cdot 9^{n-1}$ $n$-digit numbers that contain at least one $3$.

Next, we can do the same for numbers that contain no $5$, and there are again $8\cdot 9^{n-1}$ of them. If we subtract them also from the total, then we get $9\cdot10^{n-1} - 16\cdot 9^{n-1}$. But that is not the final answer, because there are some numbers that contain neither a $3$ nor a $5$, and we have subtracted them twice (once because they contain no $3$ and then again because they contain no $5$). So we must add them back in again. There are $7\cdot 8^{n-1}$ such numbers. So the final total of $n$-digit numbers that contain at least one $3$ and at least one $5$ is $$9\cdot10^{n-1} - 16\cdot 9^{n-1} + 7\cdot8^{n-1}.$$

Yes, that is absolutely correct! Thank you so much.

What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or events in a systematic way.

What is a combinatorics problem?

A combinatorics problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the number of possible combinations or arrangements of a given set of objects or events.

How do I solve a combinatorics problem with 3 and 5 digits?

To solve a combinatorics problem with 3 and 5 digits, you can use the fundamental counting principle, permutation or combination formulas, or a combination of these methods.

What are the fundamental counting principle, permutation, and combination formulas?

The fundamental counting principle states that the total number of outcomes for a sequence of events is equal to the product of the number of outcomes for each event. Permutation is used when the order of the objects or events matters, while combination is used when the order does not matter. The permutation formula is n!/(n-r)! and the combination formula is n!/r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects or events and r is the number of objects or events being selected.

Can you provide an example of solving a combinatorics problem with 3 and 5 digits?

Sure, let's say you want to create a 3-digit passcode using the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Using the fundamental counting principle, we can determine the total number of possible passcodes by multiplying the number of choices for each digit: 5 x 5 x 5 = 125 possible passcodes. Alternatively, we can use the permutation formula since the order of the digits matters: 5!/(5-3)! = 5 x 4 x 3 = 60 possible passcodes. And if the order doesn't matter, we can use the combination formula: 5!/3!(5-3)! = 10 possible passcodes.