US Military Funds Weapon that Delivers Agonizing Pain

In summary, the US military is funding development of a weapon that delivers a bout of excruciating pain from up to 2 kilometres away. Intended for use against rioters, it is meant to leave victims unharmed. But pain researchers are furious that work aimed at controlling pain has been used to develop a weapon. And they fear that the technology will be used for torture.
KingNothing
"The US military is funding development of a weapon that delivers a bout of excruciating pain from up to 2 kilometres away. Intended for use against rioters, it is meant to leave victims unharmed. But pain researchers are furious that work aimed at controlling pain has been used to develop a weapon. And they fear that the technology will be used for torture."

"I am deeply concerned about the ethical aspects of this research," says Andrew Rice, a consultant in pain medicine at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London, UK. "Even if the use of temporary severe pain can be justified as a restraining measure, which I do not believe it can, the long-term physical and psychological effects are unknown."

Here is the link: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7077

Edit: I had to delete the rest of your post as you did not link to it's source and was not in the article you cited. That "quote" wasn't from this article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, that article was just flat out stupid.

The Freedom of Information act could not be repealed for reasons of national security, because it does not apply to classified documents. The writer couldn't get throguh a paragraph with insulting christianity. Whether or not you like the idea of that weapon, that writer was a jackass at best.

Such a device as described would have no way of targeting just neurons involved in the pain pathway (sounds a bit like science fiction to begin with). If it can disrupt one neuron, it can disrupt them all, which would be lethal. It doesn't sound like they're trying to describe anything much different than a long-distance taser of sorts.

However, KingNothing, you need to separate out your editorializing from the original quoted material. I went to the original article and it doesn't match what you have in quotes here.

Franz, the insults to Christianity and the Bush bashing are not in the original article. Check it out for yourself. They seem to be KingNothing's editorial comments improperly attributed to the original article.

Ok I was taken aback, only because I thought the title was PEZ weapons...And I thought My God..there must be millions of PEZ containers world wide.

hypatia said:
Ok I was taken aback, only because I thought the title was PEZ weapons...And I thought My God..there must be millions of PEZ containers world wide.

Yes, those little rectangular candies can be fired with deadly force! :rofl:

I love PEZ! I got a Miss Piggy PEZ dispenser as a stocking stuffer for Christmas. :biggrin: Except it came with lemon candy. :yuck: I never knew lemon was a PEZ flavor, and it sort of tasted the way lemon cleansers smell. :yuck: :yuck: I want strawberry or orange or grape!

a weapon that delivers a bout of excruciating pain from up to 2 kilometres away

Boom boxes playing rap music are also pretty effective.

Sorry, yes, I got it from another news board and I wrongly thought that it was a direct quote from the article.

'pain researchers'?

That made me laugh!

Bladibla said:
'pain researchers'?

That made me laugh!

Unfortunately, it's the most credible thing in the story. Pain researchers mean people who study causes and mechanisms of pain perception (not causing pain, but understanding why and how we feel pain, such as to identify ways to alleviate chronic pain).

KingNothing said:
Sorry, yes, I got it from another news board and I wrongly thought that it was a direct quote from the article.
Could you edit the opening post, please - it is very misleading to have a link to an article with the quote below not really being a quote.

Last edited:
Ya. Using pain as a deterrent is inhumane. We should just keep shooting them in the head.

While I don't agree with the way the technology was appropriated, I think that any weapon that uses less than lethal force is a good one.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of this weapon?

The purpose of this weapon is to provide a non-lethal alternative for military personnel to use in situations where deadly force may not be necessary or appropriate. It is meant to incapacitate and deter potential threats without causing permanent harm or death.

2. How does this weapon deliver agonizing pain?

This weapon uses directed energy technology to emit a beam of intense heat, causing a sensation of burning and pain on the skin. It is designed to be highly focused and targeted, minimizing collateral damage and maximizing its effectiveness.

3. Is this weapon considered ethical?

The use of this weapon has been a topic of ethical debate. While it is intended to be a non-lethal option, the level of pain it can inflict has raised concerns about human rights and the potential for abuse. The weapon is subject to strict regulations and guidelines for its use in the military.

4. Has this weapon been tested and proven effective?

Yes, this weapon has undergone extensive testing and has been used in some military operations. It has been shown to effectively incapacitate individuals and has been deemed safe for use by the military. However, further research and testing are ongoing to ensure its safety and effectiveness.

5. Are there any potential long-term effects from being exposed to this weapon?

There is limited research on the long-term effects of this weapon, but it is designed to only cause temporary pain and discomfort. However, it is important for proper training and protocols to be followed to minimize the risk of any potential long-term effects on individuals who may be exposed to the weapon.