Probabillities in the World Cup

• Thread starter Hepic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    world cup
In summary, the two games have the same win probability, but the result of one game affects the result of the other one.
Hepic
I was watching yesterday my county(Greece) in international cup,and I thought something about probabillities. Let's say, that two football games take place the same time. In the first game, the team that we want to win has 30% to win,and in the second game the team that,we want to win has 20% to win.

I think that the probabillities to win both team are 6%,and the probabillities to win one or both teams are 44%.

I am correct??

(Two differents games,with four differents teams.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please state your reasoning and show your working ;)

It depends. If your team wins the first game, the chances of winning the second game go down because the other team won't want to lose both, they'll play aggressively and may put their best players on. But if the first game is a draw, the second will be easier to win. So there's not a clear answer to this question without knowing the conditional probabilities.

verty said:
It depends. If your team wins the first game, the chances of winning the second game go down because the other team won't want to lose both, they'll play aggressively and may put their best players on. But if the first game is a draw, the second will be easier to win. So there's not a clear answer to this question without knowing the conditional probabilities.
In the problem statement it says...
Hepic said:
Let's say, that two football games take place [at] the same time.
The two games are taking place at the same time - in each game we have a favorite team.
i.e. in the first game it may be Greece vs Spain - and we prefer Greece to win; and in the second game it is New Zealand vs Australia, and we prefer New Zealand to win.

How would the result of one game affect the result of the other one?

Simon Bridge said:
How would the result of one game affect the result of the other one?

Players know what is going on on the other stadium, so they change their tactics accordingly. If the result of the other game is good for them they won't press that hard, if the result is bad, they try hard to score. Happens all the time. Thus I don't think the assumption that win probability for each team is constant.

But perhaps we are trying to solve life-like problem, instead of much simpler, _rigid_ problem defined by OP.

You mean the win probability could change during the game?
That's actually a given, even if the players don't know what happens in the other stadium.

Need the feedback from Hepic.

Same time, no information, then it is indeed very much simpler.

1. What is the probability of a certain team winning the World Cup?

The probability of a team winning the World Cup is difficult to determine, as it depends on a variety of factors such as team performance, injuries, and luck. However, some experts use statistical models to predict the likelihood of a team winning based on past performance and current roster.

2. How are the odds for each team's chances of winning calculated?

The odds for each team's chances of winning are calculated by bookmakers, who take into account factors such as team performance, injuries, and public perception. They then use mathematical formulas to determine the odds for each team based on these factors.

3. Can a team with lower odds still win the World Cup?

Yes, it is possible for a team with lower odds to win the World Cup. While the odds may be lower, there are many factors that can influence the outcome of a game, including team chemistry, player performance on a given day, and strategic decisions made by coaches.

4. How accurate are the predictions for the World Cup based on probabilities?

The accuracy of predictions based on probabilities can vary. While statistical models can provide valuable insights, there are always unexpected events and upsets that can occur in any competition. It is important to remember that probabilities are not guarantees and anything can happen in sports.

5. Are there any teams that have historically had higher probabilities of winning the World Cup?

Yes, there are certain teams that have historically performed well in the World Cup and therefore have higher probabilities of winning. However, past performance does not guarantee future success, and each tournament is unique. It is important to consider current factors and not solely rely on historical data when predicting the outcome of the World Cup.