Why doesnt this work? velocity

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of an arrow shot horizontally based on its distance traveled and angle with the ground. However, the solution involves breaking the final velocity of the arrow into its x and y components and using the equation for range as a function of v0 and launch angle. This results in a range of 124m and a horizontal component of 107.67 m/s, which is the correct answer. The key is to understand that the arrow's flight path is half a parabola and the second half of its trajectory would be identical to that of an arrow shot upwards at 3 degrees from ground level.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

You are watching an archery tournament when you start wondering how fast an arrow is shot from the bow. Remembering your physics, you ask one of the archers to shoot an arrow parallel to the ground. You find the arrow stuck in the ground 62.0 m away, making a 3.00 ^\circ angle with the ground. Ignore all possible aerodynamic effects on the motion of the arrow.

How fast was the arrow shot?

Homework Equations

Height = tan(theta)*x(distance)
y(t) = yi + Vyi*(t) + .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i first found the height:
H = tan(3)*62 = 3.25m

then i found the time it took for the arrow to travel:
0 = 3.25 +(0)*t + .5(-9.8)t^2
t=0.8144s

then i found the velocity by taking the distance/time:
V=62/0.8144 = 76.13 m/s

This is wrong though. why can't you solve this problem like this?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you factor in the speed the arrow had in the x direction?

That is what i am trying to find though, the speed in the x direction so how could i factor it in if that is what i am trying to solve for?

mybrohshi5 said:
That is what i am trying to find though, the speed in the x direction so how could i factor it in if that is what i am trying to solve for?
This is equivalent to the archer shooting the arrow up at a 3 degree angle ___ m from where it lands. Use the equation for Range as a function of v0 and launch angle to calculate v0. Then work out the horizontal component of that to find the actual launch speed.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Use the equation for Range as a function of v0 and launch angle to calculate v0.
AM

I'm not sure of what you mean by the equation for range and launch angle. i am not sure i know the equations for these things.

ok so i found the vo from that equation to be:

vo=76.24 m/s

then to find the x component of this i used 76.24*cos(3) = 76.13 :( which is what i got in the first place.

the answer is 108 m/s but i cannot seem to get there.

mybrohshi5 said:

This is not correct. Draw out the trajectory, draw out the right triangle that Height = tan(theta)*x(distance) is supposed to represent, and you'll see why. Unfortunately, many of the answers above are not correct either because they assume the arrow was fired at a 3-degree angle instead of horizontally.

Start here: The arrow has some horizontal speed at the beginning. Whatever it is, it says constant, so Vx*t=62. You also know that in time t, the arrow traveled vertically by some distance. Break the arrow's final velocity into its x and y components, and you'll see a relationship between the components.

mybrohshi5 said:
ok so i found the vo from that equation to be:

vo=76.24 m/s

then to find the x component of this i used 76.24*cos(3) = 76.13 :( which is what i got in the first place.

the answer is 108 m/s but i cannot seem to get there.
The range, R, is 124 m. g = 9.8 m/sec^2 and sin(6) = .1045. Plug those numbers into the formula for V0 and you will get 107.8 m/sec. The horizontal component is 107.67 m/sec. (multiply v0 by cos(3)).

AM

Thank you AM. Can you just explain why the range is 124m instead of 62m like it is given in the problem. That is why i got 76.24 because i used 62 instead of 124.

Thanks

The trick is to realize that the arrow's flight path is half a parabola. If you imagine an arrow shot upwards at 3 degrees from ground level, the second half of its trajectory would be identical to the trajectory of the arrow in this question.

Got it. that makes sense. thank you all :)

mybrohshi5 said:
Thank you AM. Can you just explain why the range is 124m instead of 62m like it is given in the problem. That is why i got 76.24 because i used 62 instead of 124.

Thanks
The arrow being shot horizontally and landing 62 m away at a downward angle of 3 degrees can be achieved by launching the arrow at an upward angle of 3 degrees 62 m further back. The arrow will prescribe a parabolic path and reach its peak at the midpoint (ie. 62 m from its landing point) and will fly horizontally at that point. At that point it has the same motion as an arrow launched horizontally at that point and at that speed.

AM

1. Why is the velocity not changing?

There are several possible reasons why the velocity may not be changing. It could be due to an error in the calculation, a lack of external forces acting on the object, or the object may already be at its maximum velocity. It is important to check all factors and variables involved in the calculation to determine the cause.

2. What factors affect the velocity of an object?

The velocity of an object is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of external forces, the mass of the object, and the object's initial velocity. It is also important to consider any friction or air resistance that may act on the object.

3. How can I increase the velocity of an object?

To increase the velocity of an object, you can apply a larger external force in the direction of motion. Alternatively, you can reduce the object's mass or decrease any opposing forces, such as friction or air resistance. It is important to consider the physical limitations of the object and the environment in which it is moving.

4. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct meanings in physics. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion. In other words, velocity tells us how fast and in what direction an object is moving, while speed only tells us how fast it is moving.

5. How does velocity relate to acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are closely related concepts. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity changes in a given period. If an object has a constant velocity, it means that there is no acceleration acting on it. However, if an object's velocity is changing, it means that there is an acceleration acting on it.