Combinatorics Problem: How Many Ways Can I Put K Birds into M Cages?

In summary, for the given homework statement, there are K birds to be put into M cages, with no limit on the amount of birds in a cage. The cages and birds are both labeled. If the birds are distinguishable, the overall number of ways to put them in the cages is determined by lining them up and assigning a letter from 1 to M on their necks. The number of different overall numbers in this case is straightforward and easy to determine.
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

I have K birds to put into M cages. How many ways can I do this(no limit on the amount of birds in a cage - there can be empty cages)?

Unfortunately I haven't had a combinatorics course (and my friends who have apparently have forgotten all of it...) so I'm a little lost.

A push in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the cages numbered/labeled?
Are the birds numbered/labeled?

Both the birds and the cages are labeled

hi alex! :smile:

if the birds are all distinguishable, you just line them up, put a letter from 1 to M round their necks, and read off the overall number …

how many different overall numbers are there? :wink:

well, in that case the answer is really trivial and straightforward. Give it another try.

FAQ: Combinatorics Problem: How Many Ways Can I Put K Birds into M Cages?

1. How do I approach solving a combinatorics problem?

When solving a combinatorics problem, it is important to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This can involve listing out all the possible options and using counting techniques such as permutations and combinations to find the total number of ways.

2. What is the formula for calculating the number of ways to put K birds into M cages?

The formula for calculating the number of ways to put K birds into M cages is M^k, where M represents the number of cages and k represents the number of birds. This is because for each bird, there are M possible cages it can be placed in, and for K birds, there are M options for each bird, resulting in M * M * M * ... * M (K times).

3. Can the number of ways to put K birds into M cages be negative?

No, the number of ways to put K birds into M cages cannot be negative. This number represents a count of all the possible combinations, and therefore can only be a positive integer or zero.

4. Are there any restrictions or conditions for putting K birds into M cages?

Yes, there may be restrictions or conditions for putting K birds into M cages, depending on the specific problem. For example, the problem may specify that each cage can only hold a certain number of birds, or that certain birds cannot be placed in the same cage. It is important to carefully read and understand the given problem to determine any restrictions or conditions.

5. Can the same bird be placed in multiple cages?

Yes, the same bird can be placed in multiple cages. This is because the problem does not specify that each bird can only be placed in one cage. If the problem did specify this, then the total number of ways would be reduced as the options for placing each bird would decrease with each cage already filled.