Global ethnicity numbers summary

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a valid academic summary of world ethnic mix due to differing definitions and classifications of ethnic groups. The conversation also mentions the challenge of aligning census data from different countries.
Barbarosa
I have been trying to find a summary of global ethnicity and percent of... the origin of the bug in my hat is the current American political statements of 'minority' 'majority' and the misnomer seems obvious that northern European are a minority yet hold the power echelons and thereby decree themselves the majority...

I keep running into papers and web sites that seem excessive and partisan and stuff about secret reports of Nixon and conspiracy stories...

has anyone located a valid academic summary of world ethnic mix?

it is the prime question by which I found this interesting chat community.

thanks in advance to answering this new guys Q's

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums Barbarosa!

You may be searching for a very long time I'm afraid ... one researcher's list of ethnic groups rarely aligns with another's, so any list you find will be difficult to interpret.

For example, check out the Census webpages of half a dozen advanced economies (there are at least that number in English, e.g. US, UK, Ireland, Australia, Canada) - let us know how you might go about aligning the good census data from each country with that from another :wink:

Thank you for your question. It is understandable that you are looking for a reliable and unbiased summary of global ethnicity numbers. As you mentioned, discussions about ethnicity and power dynamics can often be sensitive and politically charged, making it difficult to find objective information.

One possible resource for finding a valid academic summary of world ethnic mix is the World Factbook published by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). This resource provides information on the ethnic makeup of different countries around the world, including the percentage of each ethnic group within the total population. However, it is important to keep in mind that this data may not be completely up-to-date or accurate, as it relies on self-reported information from each country.

Another option is to look for academic articles or studies published in peer-reviewed journals. These sources typically undergo a rigorous review process to ensure the validity and reliability of the information presented. A search on a scholarly database such as JSTOR or Google Scholar may yield some results on global ethnicity numbers.

It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field of anthropology or sociology, as these disciplines often study and analyze global ethnicity trends. They may be able to provide you with more nuanced and in-depth information on the topic.

Overall, it is important to critically evaluate the sources you come across and consider any potential biases or agendas. It may also be helpful to consult multiple sources to get a well-rounded understanding of global ethnicity numbers. I hope this helps in your search for information.

1. What is the definition of "global ethnicity numbers summary"?

The term "global ethnicity numbers summary" refers to a report or analysis that provides an overview of the ethnic diversity and distribution of different populations around the world.

2. How are ethnicity numbers determined and collected for this summary?

Ethnicity numbers are typically determined and collected through self-identification surveys, census data, and other demographic studies conducted by governments, organizations, and researchers.

3. Are the ethnicity numbers in this summary accurate and up-to-date?

The accuracy and timeliness of the ethnicity numbers in this summary may vary depending on the source and methodology used to collect the data. It is important to note that ethnicity is a complex and fluid concept, and these numbers should be interpreted with caution.

4. What is the purpose of a global ethnicity numbers summary?

The purpose of a global ethnicity numbers summary is to provide a comprehensive and comparative overview of the ethnic diversity and distribution of different populations around the world. It can be used for research, policy-making, and understanding the global landscape of diversity and inclusion.

5. Can I use the information from this summary to make assumptions about individual identities?

No, the ethnicity numbers in this summary are meant to provide a broad overview of ethnic groups and their distribution on a global scale. They should not be used to make assumptions about individual identities, as ethnicity is a personal and complex aspect of one's identity.