Linear Transformation question

In summary, the book does not provide many examples of how to determine whether a transformation is a projection, reflection, or rotation. The questions I asked from the book, I was able to find the line and reflection, since the same question was previously stated and I was able to do it, however, I did not understand it. For the other part, I was able to get the result by solving the equation. The result is that the matrix is for a rotation about an angle of pi/3. Furthermore, the matrix should be unitary for a transformation to be a rotation. Finally, the book does not provide the information on what does the transformation do with the base vectors.
matrix_204
i was trying to figure out something that i didn't understand and the book doesn't have much examples of it either. My question is how do u know whether a transformation is a projection on a line, reflection on a line, or rotation through an angel? With T given. The questions i did from the book, i was able to find the line and reflection, since the same question was previously stated and i was able to do it, n got the answer from there, but didn't understand it.
Take T[x y]=1/2[x-y y-x] and by solving these i get [1 -1]/[-1 1] (this is not division, just goes at the bottom, its a 2x2 matrix, and the vectors r transposed) so by looking at this
[ 1 -1]
[-1 1]
how can u tell whether its a reflection, projection or rotation?
Similarly another result i got for another part was
[1/2 root3/2]
[root3/2 1/2 ]
i think this one is rotation but how can u tell?

Physics news on Phys.org
A rotation about the origin is a transformation which preserves the lengths and angles of vectors. It's called an orthogonal transformation. They are given by an orthogonal matrix, possesing the following property:
[tex]A^TA=I[/tex]
where the T denotes the transpose operation.
Furthermore: if det(A)=1, then it's a rotation, if det(A)=-1, then it's a reflection followed by a rotation.
Also, a rotation over an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] can always be given by the following matrix:

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc}\cos\theta & -\sin\theta \\ \sin\theta & \cos\theta \end{array} \right)[/tex]
Since [itex]\cos \frac{\pi}{3}=1/2[/itex] and [itex]\sin \frac{\pi}{3} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] the matrix:
[tex]\left( \begin{array}{cc}1/2 & -\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \\ \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} & 1/2 \end{array} \right)[/tex]
is matrix for the rotation about an angle of [itex]\pi/3[/itex]. (Did you forgot a minus sign in your matrix?)

Projections always have the following properties:
[tex]P^T=P[/tex]
[tex]P^2=P[/tex].

matrix_204 said:
Take T[x y]=1/2[x-y y-x] and by solving these i get [1 -1]/[-1 1] (this is not division, just goes at the bottom, its a 2x2 matrix, and the vectors r transposed) so by looking at this
[ 1 -1]
[-1 1]

You have omitted 1/2.

[tex] T=1/2 \left(\begin {array}{cc} 1&-1\\ -1& 1\end{array}\right)[/tex]

how can u tell whether its a reflection, projection or rotation?

Find out what does this transformation do with the base vectors. You will see that they are projected onto the [1,-1] direction.

Similarly another result i got for another part was
[1/2 root3/2]
[root3/2 1/2 ]
i think this one is rotation but how can u tell?

To be a rotation, the matrix should be unitary, and yours is not (the determinant should be 1).
A matrix that represents an anti-clockwise rotation by angle alpha in the (xy) plane is

[tex]T=\left(\begin {array}{cc}\cos(\alpha)&-\sin(\alpha)\\ \sin(\alpha)&\cos(\alpha)\end{array}\right )[/tex]

ehild

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the linear structure of the original space. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that maintains the properties of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What are the properties of a linear transformation?

A linear transformation must satisfy two properties: additivity and homogeneity. Additivity means that the transformation of the sum of two vectors is equal to the sum of their individual transformations. Homogeneity means that the transformation of a scalar multiple of a vector is equal to the scalar multiple of the vector's transformation.

3. How can a linear transformation be represented?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix. The columns of the matrix represent the transformation of the basis vectors of the original space, and the result of multiplying the matrix by a vector is the transformation of that vector.

4. What are the applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve systems of linear equations, analyze geometric transformations, and model real-life situations such as electrical circuits and economic systems.

5. How do I determine if a transformation is linear?

To determine if a transformation is linear, you can check if it satisfies the two properties: additivity and homogeneity. If it satisfies both properties, then it is a linear transformation. Additionally, you can also represent the transformation as a matrix and check if it follows the rules of matrix multiplication.